Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 10, 2026

HOF Insight: Elevate Your Program- Become a Better Coach























In the “HOF Insights”, I ask a group of successful, veteran coaches to share their thoughts on a variety of topics. Each week, I ask a different question. The questions can be focused on helping coaches, parents or athletes to have a more successful athletic experience.  

As someone who coached 45 years, two things became evident to me over the years- 1) Basketball changes, you need to keep up with the changes in the sport. 2) You need to develop a coaching network to succeed. 

As a result, two things that are very important for coaches who are in for the long haul- attending clinics and joining coaching associations. 

Today’s Question- How do coaching clinics and coaches associations contribute to the growth of coaches and the growth of the game of basketball? 


Bob Anderson- Williamsfield






















(Editor’s Note- If from 1970 to 2020 you attended a basketball clinic in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, or Iowa- you saw Bob Anderson at the clinic. For 45 years, opposing coaches found it was a nightmare facing Bob’s teams. Bob understood the game of basketball better than almost any coach because he invested the time at clinics.)

I probably went to well over 100 clinics while I was coaching and I'll tell you this, I never went to a bad one. If you truly love the game, you'll hear or see something that you can use in your program. 

Things are always changing and coaches are always finding new and better ways to do a certain fundamental, run an offense or they come up with something that makes their defense a little harder to score against. 

If you aren't attending, you're going to be behind. To me, if you're to the point where you think you can't learn anymore, you're done coaching. Believe me, there is always something to learn. Coaches who speak at clinics will tell you that you can't use everything you hear at a clinic, but if you can take at least one good idea back to your program, going to the clinic was a success.So guys please take my advice, going to clinics will make you a better coach. 

Also if you get a chance to serve on a board to help the IBCA, by all means do it. It's great experience and we all need to do our part in keeping this organization going. We will never be able to thank the late Chuck Rolinski enough for what he did for Illinois basketball.      



Brad Storm- Geneseo (Basketball)


























(Editor’s Note- Brad is the current President of the IBCA, and has been an organizer of the IBCA state-wide clinic.)

Wow.  This is a loaded question for me since I am the current president of the IBCA and co-chair of the state-wide clinic.  Because of that, let me apologize now for what is a lengthy of an answer!  It is also very timely because the IBCA state-wide clinic is coming up on September 26th at Bradley University.  Hopefully all the coaches who follow this great resource are signed up!  The clinic is a great value and an excellent way to spend some time with your staff and with other coaches from around the state.

I want to try to answer these questions looking through two lenses.  One lens is how I viewed the IBCA and clinics as a coach throughout my career (which I understand will differ from others' ideas), and the second is that of an 'educator or mentor' trying to explain the importance of each.

I'll start first with the clinic topic.
When I was a young coach starting out in Indiana, I wanted to learn as much as possible to be the best coach I could be.  We didn't have the Internet to search for articles, plays, or to download videos.  We did have books and we had catalogs from Championship Video Productions, USA Basketball, and similar companies that we could order from.  I did that.  A lot.  I still have tubs of VHS and DVDs in storage.  But, I also wanted to go to clinics.  The first clinic I attended was the Indiana Basketball Coaches clinic.  I was close enough to Indianapolis that I could drive back and forth each day.  If I had known better I would have tried to stay overnight and talk with other coaches.  When I worked summer basketball camps at universities (that was a thing back then for a little summer income) the most valuable part was sitting with coaches and learning different ways to approach coaching.  Extremely valuable.  It was also great to network.  I ended up getting a much needed assistant coach by networking at the Iowa basketball camp one summer. 

Anyway, that first clinic opened my eyes to how valuable (and cool) it is to get information in person from knowledgeable coaches. You often have the opportunity to ask presenters questions specific to your needs or about deeper understanding that you can't get from a video.  Furthermore, just being around so many others with that energy really energized me in a way no DVD, VHS, or streamed video could.  

I don't know why so many coaches choose not to attend clinics.  I suppose part of it is that they are so accustomed to getting information online.  I get that - it's really easy and convenient.  I did that, too.  But, I also get the feeling that the hunger for knowledge and improvement as a coach isn't quite as strong in many.  And, I know that in-person interaction is vastly different and so much better than watching a video. Otherwise we wouldn't need to try to answer this question here.

I wish I could explain the value of in-person learning at a clinic, but you almost need to experience it to understand it. 

In terms of joining the state organization, I just always felt the desire to belong to it.  When I became a head coach in Indiana, I joined.  I actually think I joined before as an assistant, but I know as a head coach I felt I wanted to support the organization.  Sure, there were some 'perks' as a member, but it was mostly just to support an organization that supported coaches.  I did the same when I moved back to Illinois many years ago.  I don't know if I really took advantage of any of those benefits, but I wanted to join.  I think it was $40 each year to be a member. (Only $10 now!)  When I became a head coach I used camp money to sign up all of my assistants and middle school coaches.  I soon also asked to get involved with the IBCA to help however I could.  Obviously, over the many years and roles within the IBCA, that has led me to my current position.  

I feel strongly about serving basketball coaches in the state, promoting the game in a healthy way, serving players in a variety of ways, preserving and sharing our state's basketball history, and giving back to the game that has done so much for me.  The IBCA does all of that.  Just being a member helps the IBCA accomplish all of that.  It's important.  And, now with the low cost of just $10 a coach, it seems like a no-brainer to me.  And yet, many coaches choose not to join. Just like some choose not to attend live clinics. I feel that it is unfortunate, but sometimes it difficult to even lead a horse to water, let alone force them to drink!

Sometimes you don’t know what you need until it is offered to you.  By sitting at home you pick out videos or streams of what you think you need.  But when you go to a clinic, sometimes something is presented that you didn’t realize was something you or your program could really benefit from.  At a clinic, you hear from coaches who present on things that have helped them - be it schemes, or leadership, or culture, or administrative things, or mental health, or whatever.  There are so many things out there besides watching videos on an offense or defense that make a big difference in a coach’s growth. 


Jim Martin- Lincolnway East (Girls Basketball)





















(Editor’s Note- Jim is one of the coaches, who we owe a lot to. He has devoted thousands of hours to the IBCA on the All-State Board as well as being the primary organizer of the girls All-State game.)

Basketball coaches should attend clinics because great coaches never stop learning. Clinics provide an opportunity to improve their knowledge, learn new ideas, and connect with other coaches.
 

Why Coaches Should Attend Basketball Clinics

  • Learn new strategies and techniques – Coaches can discover new offensive sets, defensive concepts, drills, and ways to teach the game.
  • Improve player development – Clinics offer ideas for developing players' skills, decision-making, confidence, and basketball IQ.
  • Learn from experienced coaches – Listening to successful coaches can provide different perspectives and practical ideas that can be brought back to a team.
  • Stay current with the game – Basketball continues to evolve. Clinics help coaches understand changes in styles of play, rules, technology, and player development.
  • Network with other coaches – Clinics create opportunities to build relationships, share experiences, and develop a coaching network.
  • Find solutions to challenges – Talking with other coaches can provide new approaches to common problems involving practice, motivation, team chemistry, and leadership.
  • Become a better leader – Coaching is about more than X's and O's. Clinics can help coaches improve communication, culture, leadership, and relationships with players.
  • Bring energy back to your program – A good clinic can re-energize a coach and provide fresh ideas and enthusiasm for the upcoming season.
Ultimately, coaches attend clinics not just to become better basketball coaches, but to become better teachers, leaders, and mentors. When coaches continue to grow, their players and programs benefit as well.
 
It is important to join the IBCA and attend the state clinic. Here is the link for the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association.  https://ibcaillinois.org




Jeff Parsons- Fulton (Basketball, Principal, AD)


























Live and in-person clinics do not have the attendance that they used to have for sure.  I personally love the in-person clinics during my tenure as a coach. I wanted to see coaches live and watch them break down basketball situations on the court with players. 

In my opinion, technology has caused the decline of in person clinics.  The world of scouting used to involve getting in a vehicle and driving to where the game was.  Now a days, it’s a simple click and exchange in Hudl.

Coach also use technology for clinic information. YouTube and other social media platforms are used by coaches to have access to many different offenses, out of bounds plays, defensive schemes and so on. It’s a simple click and rewind for viewing in their phone, iPad or computer.  

Coaches can search whatever they need to research and it’s at the tip of their hands and eyes in seconds without leaving their house or place of work. 

I wish I knew how to get people back into live clinics, but the younger coaches grew up in a technology era and use it to their advantage. Some of the best plays I’ve ever gotten were transcribed on a napkin at a clinic, talking to a Coach. Making the face to face connections with other coaches was a great way to get information. Unfortunately, technology is ever expanding and coaches are using it to their advantage and not attending in person clinics.




Website for the IBCA


























Past articles in the HOF Insights series….


HOF Insights- Past Articles





HOF Insights- Coaching Panel

Bob Anderson- Williamsfield (Boys Basketball)

Bob is retired as boys basketball coach at Williamsfield. At a school of only 89 students, in 45 years, his teams won 732 games along with numerous tourney and conference championships. His 1997 team made it to the Elite 8. 

Kimberly Barth- Washington (Girls Basketball)

Coach Barth, a State Championship coach whose passion for the game began at a young age, inspired by her father and coaches who help shaped her love of the game. In her 10 years at Washington varsity head coach, she earned 8 IBCA COY Awards. In 2025 the Panthers took 3rd in State, and in 2026 they won the Illinos State Championship. While her accomplishments speak to her success in the court, her greatest impact has been developing young women through the game she loves- teaching them to compete, lead, persevere and believe in themselves. 

Greg Bennett- Lewistown (Football, Track, Girls Basketball)

Greg coached many sports at Lewistown. He had teams go to State in girls basketball and football. He is in the Illinois Football HOF as well as being in the Illinois Basketball Hall of Fame. He is know for his commitment as a coach and his high energy level. 

Todd Borrison- Preston, Assumption, SE Polk, Camanche, Mediapolis (Girls Basketball)
Todd has been coaching girls basketball in Iowa for 34 years, and is still coaching. His overall record is 597-196. Thirteen of his teams have gone to State, and he has had three teams win the Iowa State Championships. Todd was a finalist for the National Coach of the Year. 

Kathy Bresnahan- Iowa City West (Volleyball)
Kathy coached volleyball at Iowa City West from 1987-2000 and 2005-2013. Her teams made 7 State apprearances and won the State Championship in 2010 and 2011. She wrote a book, “The Miracle Season” about the 2011 season, which was made into a movie. She was National COY in 2011, State COY 2010, 2011. She is in both the Iowa Volleyball HOF and UW-Platteville HOF. 

Debbie Coffman- Bloomington CC (Girls Basketball)
Coach Coffman retired after 28 years at Bloomington Central Catholic. Her teams won 634 games with 204. Losses. BCC never had a losing season in her 28 years coaching. Her teams won Illinois State Championship in 2010, and finished 3rd (2010), 2nd (2011), 3rd (2015), and 2nd (2017). Debbie was inducted into the IBCA HOF and the Eureka College HOF. She is the past President of the IBCA. 

Mark Cooper- Ottawa (Boys Basketball)
Ottawa has a history of great boys basketball with legendary coaches like Gil Love, Dean Riley, and Gary Vancil. Mark Cooper in his 22 year career as head basketball coach set the OHS record for wins with 357 wins to become the all-time wins leader. Mark also served as assistant in football and golf for the Pirates. 

Mike Cooper- Ottawa HS (Football, Girls Basketball)
Mike is the retired Athletic Director at Ottawa HS. He was varsity girls basketball coach for 22 years, as well as sophomore football coach for many years. He was inducted in the the IBCA HOF.

Tim Engebretson- United HS (Football)
He was varsity head football coach for many years at United HS. He also has coached basketball at different levels. His 2005 team won the Illinois State Title, and Tim is in the Illinois Football Coaches' HOF as well as the United HOF.

Ralph Gallo- Richwoods (Girls Basketball)
As a head coach at Richwoods, his teams went 80-29. Ralph is considered one of the top assistant coaches in Illinois. He was an assistant to legendary coaches at Richwoods- Mary Kay Hungate, Wayne Hammerton, Terry Quilty, John Gross, Heather Cassiy, Jessica Reardon and Todd Hursey. During his time as an assistant at Richwoods, the varsity teams went 834-213. These Richwoods teams took 3rd in State, twice took 2nd in State, and won the State Championship in 1983, 2005, 2009, 2018. Coach Gallo was inducted in the IBCA HOF in 2015. 

Jay Hatch- Alleman, Riverdale (Softball, Basketball)


Greg King- Sterling HS (Football, Athletic Director)
In his head coaching career at Sterling, his football teams went 78-28, and had 10 straight play-off appearances and 5 conference titles. In addition to his success as a football coach, he was inducted in the Illinois Athletic Director's Association HOF. Greg was elected to Illinois High School Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2019.

Diane Lichtenberg- Bettendorf HS (Volleyball)
Diane coached volleyball at Bettendorf for 34 years. During that time, her teams had only one losing season while winning two State championships. She has been selected to both the National Coaches HOF and to the Iowa Volleyball HOF. 

Jim Martin- Lincolnway East (Girls Basketball)

Mark Massey- Clinton HS (Volleyball)
Mark was the head volleyball coach at Clinton for 38 years. His teams won 818 games, and twice took second in State. He is in the Iowa Volleyball HOF and Clinton HS HOF.

Jeff Parsons- Roseville, Wethersfeild, Fulton (Baseball, Basketball, Principal, Athletic Director)
Jeff was a highly successful baseball and basketball coach at Kewanee Wethersfield. He was inducted into the IBCA HOF. Presently he is the Principal and Athletic Director at Fulton

Mike Reynolds- Bismark-Henning, Galesburg, DeKalb

Larry Schulte- Sherrard, Black Hawk, Fenton, Alleman (Boys Basketball, Athletic Director)
With stops at Sherrard, Fenton, and Alleman as head coach, Coach Schulte’s teams won 353 games. Larry guided Alleman to 5 State Appearances in 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2004. His ‘95 team finished 4th at State and his ‘96 team finished 3rd at State. After coaching at Alleman, he became assistant coach at Augustana College. In 2006 Coach Schulte was inducted into the IBCA HOF in 2006 and the Alleman HOF in 2014. 

Thom Sigel- Rock Falls/Rock Island HS (Golf, Boys Basketball)
Thom coached basketball for 32 years. His teams won 502 games, and he has the distinction of winning the State Title at both Rock Falls and Rock Island. Thom is in the IBCA HOF.

Brad Storm- Geneseo (Boys Basketball)
Brad coached basketball for 33 years. He was head coach at Eminence (Ind), Erie, and Geneseo. At Geneseo, his Maple Leafs won three Regional titles in his 16 years, and the Leafs made the Sweet 16 in 2007-8. In addition, he also coached AAU with Martin Brothers Nike program. Presently, Brad is a regional coach for Lead ‘Em Up. This year he is the President of the Illinois Basketball Coaoches Association. 

Sean Taylor- Shelbyville, Macomb, Quincy, Jacksonville, Moline

Mike Tracey- Alleman, UTHS, Moline HS (Football, Athletic Director)

Mike coached football at Alleman, UT, and Moline for over 20 years. He is considered the premier football coach in WB6 history. His teams won 140 games, and twice finished second in State.



  Stay Connected to Massey Basketball Blog 

Follow us on Facebook- Massey Basketball and Twitter- @MasseyBball 

                      Get instant updates on new blog posts. 




No comments:

Post a Comment