Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Steve Shaver from the Galesburg HS Class of 1977.
Steve is another one of the profiles of a Silver Streak who “stayed near to go far!” He is a Sandburg and Knox College graduate. And his career literally took him far, to many spots. He has been located in the West, East, and Midwest during his adult life.
I really appreciate him to take the time to share his memories of GHS and advice to today’s student/athletes.
Favorite Teachers/Classes
I think we were fortunate to have a lot of excellent teachers. I really enjoyed Mrs. Dunn (Algebra), Mr. Kessler (Advanced Algebra & Trig), Mr. Maurizi (Biology), Mr. Purcel (History), but there were many more.
Favorite memories from GHS
My favorite memories are very tied to athletics. The class of ’77 had great teams and great athletes in pretty much every sport. Our class had key players on the tremendous ’76 basketball team that beat Richwoods and went to state, and by the time I was a senior, my brother Scott (GHS Hall of Famer in basketball) was playing for the Streaks. GHS excelled in baseball, football, track, swimming, wrestling, tennis and just about everything else, including the outstanding band who provided the
soundtrack for all of it.
Personally, after many years and thousands of hours playing basketball and baseball, I ended up in the somewhat odd combination of tennis and wrestling at GHS (though our Dad would say that with my brother on the basketball team, I got to experience Silver Streak basketball by proxy!). I had the opportunity to wrestle on the varsity team as a sophomore, and in addition to the sprains and bruises, I was one of the relatively few GHS sophomores who earned a varsity letter.
My good friends Steve & Greg Stacey had inspired me to take up tennis. We had strong teams and a great bunch of guys who had a lot of fun competing together. During the summers, I worked at the tennis courts at Lakelawn and played in several tennis tournaments in the region (I also played Babe Ruth and Senior Babe Ruth baseball). Those were great times.
Education After GHS
I attended Carl Sandburg Junior College and earned my AA degree in 1 year (and lettered in tennis). I then went and got my BA in Political Science at Knox College, graduating in 1980 (played tennis there too).
Fun fact: I was the Knox College intramural ping pong champion my senior year! I stayed in Galesburg for a few years, working several jobs, including a fun summer of ’85 teaching tennis at Soangetaha. I left for Macomb and earned my MBA at Western Illinois University in 1987.
Career
After grad school, I still didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do, and I fell into a position as a Claim Examiner Trainee with the Chubb Group of
Insurance Companies in St. Louis. I ended up being with Chubb for 36 years, and as the career progressed, I lived for several years in San Francisco, and then Indianapolis (where my brother Stu lives), then Chicago, then Phoenix (where Scott lives) and now Chesapeake, Virginia. I
retired as an Assistant Vice President a couple of years ago.
What You are Doing Now
Although I’m pretty committed to being retired, I do some occasional consulting work, but more importantly, I’m trying to reinvigorate my golf game, which was back-burnered while I was raising kids and doing things like coaching little league and girls’ softball.
My wife Gloria is still working and thriving as an executive with USAA. Between the two of us, we have a son in Florida and two daughters living nearby – and two grandchildren! We try to travel a lot, and always have a next trip in the works.
We live in Chesapeake, Virginia, but we’re currently
building a house on the Crystal Coast of North Carolina, where Gloria grew up. Busy and exciting times!
Your Career Took You Throughout America, What Was Thing About These Cities?
Galesburg - It’s HOME! Though our parents have passed, I still have great friends there and still try to have an excuse for visiting at least once a year. It’s such a beautiful town - I think population for population, there is no better place to see beautiful homes and architecture. We plan to be back there next month, and I can’t wait to see friends, eat at the Pizza House & Landmark, and maybe play golf at Lake Bracken (I’ve played courses all over the country, and there aren’t any I’d rather play).
St. Louis - Back in the day, the live music along the riverfront was fantastic. And I was there when the Cardinals lost the ‘87 World Series, and I got to be the pain-in-the-neck co-worker who was a Cub fan.
San Francisco - Such a great experience, back when SF was maybe the coolest city in the country. My son Ryan was born there. And, continuing the sports theme, the Niners were still in the Montana-Young years, and the Giants & A’s were great teams (fun fact: I was at Candlestick park on 10/17/89 when the earthquake happened. Unforgettable night in many ways).
Indianapolis - Indy is a great place to live. Small enough to feel small-town, but big enough to be a major sports city. I’ve had relatives there my whole life, so it always felt familiar, and still does with my brother living there.
Chicago - I’m very Chicago oriented, and a Cubs-Bears-Bulls-Blackhawks fan. I lived there for the last couple of Jordan championships, and have always considered Wrigley Field to be the center of the universe. I lived in the suburbs and worked in the Sears Tower (48th floor), so the daily commute was brutal!
Phoenix - I love Phoenix, and we still get out there at least a couple times a year, and hang out with Scott and his family. My daughter Lauren was born there. I guess I brought some good sports luck there too: the Diamondbacks won the 2001 World Series versus the Yankees, and I got to attend Game 6.
Chesapeake - I never would have guessed I’d live here, much less leave Arizona, but a career opportunity came along and here I am, still here 20 years later. We’re near the Virginia Beach oceanfront, and the city of Norfolk, and there is always a lot to do.
Newport, NC - I’ll preemptively add it here, since we’ll have a home there a few months from now. It is a truly beautiful coastal area, but also still has a small town feel, with great beaches, boating & fishing, and Southern charm.
You are playing brother, Scott, one on one in basketball for the family championship. It is 9 to 9 and you are playing to 10. You have the ball, what is going to be your “go to move” to win the family championship?
Playing Scott one-on-one: Great question! I’d have a better answer about 55 years ago when I was taller than him. Scott would say there’s no way it would get to 9-9, but he has bad knees, so I’d have to run him around a bit and hope to get off a shot without him slapping it. But if I hit the shot, he’d say I have to win by 2. And if I won by 2, he’d say we’re playing 2 out of 3. These days, he & I would probably rather school his sons in golf.
Advice for Today’s Students/Athletes
I would encourage them to thrive in the moment! Whether it be a team sport or an individual sport, cherish the time and the people around you, because it goes quickly. Whatever your best is, give it – you owe that
to yourself and to your team. Sports give us so many tools that are essential to future success, regardless of what path you take: Discipline, Leadership, Commitment, Enjoying Competition, Continually Improving, Overcoming Failure, Encouraging and Supporting your Team.
Most of us probably don’t appreciate it enough at the time, but we benefit from it throughout our lives. Make the list of things you DID DO as long as possible – and keep the list of things you wish you would have done as short as possible.






No comments:
Post a Comment