Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Streaks Alumni Profile- Kelly Lange-Haider 1976





































Today’s “Streaks Alumni Profile” features Kelly Lange-Haider from the Galesburg HS’s Class of 1976. 

Kelly was one of the pioneers in girls sports in the 1970’s. Like many of the girls in this era, she seemed to try any sport she could. She was one of the top early athletes at GHS. 

Knee injuries put a damper on her high school career but not before she helped lead the 1975-6 field hockey to 3rd in State finish. Kelly was the goalie who was instrumental in shutting down the opponents. To say she was a key to the team’s great achievement would be an understatement. Despite her team’s success and her tremendous performance, neither she or her team are in the GHS Athletic HOF. 

Kelly went onto to have an impressive career as a female pioneer in engineering.

I really appreciate Kelly taking the time to share her memories and her life story. 


1975-6 Field Hockey- 3rd in State






















Favorite Teachers/Classes at GHS


Janice Patterson taught ”Women in Literature”. She introduced me to great authors.  I still have a few of the books we read with passages underlined.  


Joe Rodeffer was my junior year math teacher. He enjoyed basketball and encouraged me to keep playing.  Both saw my hidden academic potential. 


I also enjoyed drivers’ education with Don Wright. It was a summer class packed with a great kids in a small car.  We headed west out of the high school and drove on country roads.  


And Trudy Coffman was a physical education teacher who was fun and lived near my mom.  She made a point of catching up when I was in Galesburg.




































Sports/Activities at GHS

Marching Band (short lived)

Field Hockey

Volleyball

Basketball

Softball

As a sophomore I started the fall in marching band.  I was a mediocre percussionist amongst a lot of talent and was told to pick either band or sports. My list above shows the path I chose. 


I started field hockey in my junior year. I had never played the sport and watched a few games. I was goalie by default. Most of my friends played the year before and had established positions and the goalie had graduated. We made it to state my senior year. 







































After the field hockey season ended, we started volleyball. We won district my junior year. I was a catcher in softball. 


Basketball was my favorite sport but proved to be my demise. I tore my ACL playing my junior year, had surgery (thank you Eric Doss for the referral) and missed out on spring sports. Looking back, I was left out of the yearbook team picture! I attended basketball camp at the University of Illinois the summer before my senior year 4 months after ACL surgery. 


In my senior year I injured my other knee playing basketball which ended high school sports for me.  I played in one golf match (along with Jody Hertenstein) for the girls’ high school team when they were suspended for a game.



















Best Memories Growing Up in Galesburg/Attending GHS 


Growing up in a smaller town was a blast. I attended Hitchcock Elementary, Lincoln Middle School, and Churchill Junior High.  There were many kids in each grade  which allowed for a diverse group of friends.  


We had a lot of freedom to play outside and be in by dark.  In the neighborhood we played kick the can, wiffle ball, and pick-up basketball. I detasseled corn one summer which introduced me to many Lombard friends. 


I remember outdoor movie nights at Bracken, trying to get a greased watermelon across the pool at Soangetaha, and Lakelawn in the summers. 


Nelsons was a favorite hangout for pinball and for pushing Pearl’s patience as you picked out penny candy. I worked at Parkside Dairy and Swedoughs through high school.  


High school memories were based around friends and sports. Riding the bus to away games always involved music and a lot of laughter. We practiced both volleyball and basketball at Hitchcock and had to get rides after school to the gym.
































Girls sports were just starting and your field hockey team made it to State. That was such a great achievement. Was it intimidating going to the suburbs for the State Tourney? 


It was exciting heading to state with teammates and friends.  I’d been to Chicago several times so the experience was not intimidating. We rode a team bus and carried on like it was just another game to be played.  We had fun and knew it was special, but the experience didn’t overwhelm us. The accommodation was a less than luxurious motel. One vivid memory was the last room check from Coach Swackhamer (Hoehn). We were having too much fun!

























What is your sense of why you were able to be successful as a team? 


We found success because we were all friends, had fun, worked hard, and were confident in our abilities.  We had a solid defense that carried us into the tournament.






























In terms of recognition when you got back- how were you celebrated or not celebrated?


The biggest celebration we experienced was by our families upon returning to the school. There was no school rally for sendoff or return.

 

Today most people think that there were no girls sports in 1971, then ‘72 and Title IX came, and then girls sports automatically were going at the same level as boys. People don’t realize in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s how female athletes constantly were made to realize they were second class to the boys. What were frustrations and challenges that you experienced those first years? 

 

I always have been a sports enthusiast. My dad was a handball player and involved at the YMCA.  There was organized basketball for boys at the YMCA but not for girls. I was allowed to be a score keeper and shoot baskets between games but not play. 


Several of the neighborhood girls played pick up basketball with the boys in junior high. But we did not have a girls basketball team, only tennis and bowling.  It was frustrating not being able to play when our physical gap at that age was not that different. We did have a girls’ track team outside of school called the Jaycee Jets which gave us an opportunity to compete.

  

Girls’ sports in high school were just taking off in the early 70’s so we were considered second class when it came to facilities available to us. We had a few weekend practices in the side gym at the high school. Hitchcock is where volleyball and basketball practices were routinely held.  The gym doubled as the theater, so we had little room between out of bounds and the stage. We also wore the same uniforms for volleyball and basketball.

 

We got letters and pins instead of a jacket

 

Most people attending games were other girls involved in sports and a few parents. My dad made it to one game during my time in high school sports.  My mom always attended unless it was an away game.





 
































Do you remember joys and excitement of being on the first teams , that sense of “getting to play.”

 

High school was a blast when I realized I could play a variety of sports competitively. I was oblivious to Title IX and the ramifications. Current events weren’t discussed extensively around the dinner table.  I tried many different activities but always gravitated to team sports. It was an exciting time but also frustrating being labeled as a tomboy. Today I use that term endearingly as I reflect on high school and know what is available to girls today. I am excited to see what lies ahead for my granddaughter. 








































All athletes feel pride in their achievements. As you look back, as a pioneer of women’s sports, do you feel a special pride?  How do you feel what you went thru has served you well throughout life?

 

Sports gave me a purpose and belonging in high school. I did not prioritize or maximize the educational opportunities that were available. Having the opportunity to play sports helped shape me and drive me to take chances and opportunities that I had not been exposed to.


With bad knees I started racing bicycles and won a state championship while living in Louisiana. Being a “trail blazer” also gave me confidence to go into engineering where I was one of a few women in my graduating class.





 






























Education after GHS


I started my freshman year at George Williams College in Downers Grove Illinois. The school was affiliated with the YMCA which made sense for me thinking I would be a Parks and Recreation major. I took an Environmental Studies course and changed my career plans. I made my way to New Orleans and graduated from the University of New Orleans with a BS in Civil Engineering.  I went on to graduate school at Colorado State University to get a master’s degree and specialize in Environmental Engineering.




 




























Career


I started my career in Corvallis, Oregon working for a company that manufactured water and wastewater equipment. I was the first woman engineer they hired. The company was merged with affiliates in Minnesota and then Massachusetts. 


Next, I spent 16 years as a consulting engineer with a focus on planning and designing water and wastewater systems first located in Seattle then Minnesota. The Twin Cities have a hub of water companies, and I ended up joining the Dow Chemical Company/FilmTec to support a membrane business acquired from China. I ended my career managing technical resources that supported the product portfolio.






 






























What are you up to today


I’ve been married for 40 years and live in Saint Paul, Minnesota. I have two children. My son went to the University of Wisconsin and is a chemical engineer. He is married, has 2 kids and runs a business (craftklaris.com a mom’s shameless plug) that makes a countertop ice machine.  My daughter is a University of Minnesota graduate with a degree in sociology/criminology and an MBA. She works for a legal software company out of the Phoenix area.

 

I recently retired but volunteer in the industry. I am a cyclist and golfer. I have completed RAGBRAI twice and continue to ride a few times a week. I love golfing and am trying to lower my handicap index. My grandkids are keeping me busy. And I like to travel.






 































Advice for present students/athletes


Enjoy the camaraderie developed with your classmates and teammates. It truly is a unique time of life which goes quickly. Sports are a fun part of high school but are only part of the great life memories to be had. Know that the best is yet to come. 


The skills you learn playing sports will translate to other areas of life and will be useful in the future. You most likely won’t have it all figured out when you graduate but follow your interests and say yes to opportunities. Continue to learn and try new experiences but don’t be afraid to fail. Step out of your comfort zone, challenge yourself and stretch what you thought was possible. 


Develop a couple of lifelong activities to keep moving and stay healthier through life. Remember that mental health is just as important as physical health.

No comments:

Post a Comment