Another thing I look for in the run game is how running backs hit the hole. Are they dancing too much? Are they stopping to make a cut? You can many times see likes contact. What I mean by that, does the running back try and hit the hole and read the block, or are they always trying to bounce things outside.
Another reason I like the end zone view is for in house scouting. I think with any young coaches they have only scouted using Hudl. The going to a game and writing down what the other team was doing is a lost art. It taught me so much about the game, especially when playing teams that may not do exactly what we did. You can see pass routes develop. You can see what the QB sees. You can see alignments of the defense. Many times when you get the tape, it is a jumbled mess…especially if the camera guy is not very good!
For me the stats I looked at many times (of course after a win being the most important stat) was rushing offense and rushing defense. I have always been taught from the days of playing for Don Wyzgowski at Amboy and Bob Reade at Augustana, the teams that rush the ball well and stop the run, are going to be more successful.
The other stat I pay attention to is missed tackles. Many times this will come after watching film. Why did miss them? Poor technique? Not where you were supposed to be schematically? You can go back and drill the reason for the missed tackle.
The game of football is pretty simple. The team that blocks better, tackles better and runs harder usually wins the game.
Who hustles, who looks for the open man, who makes the basic play with a sense of urgency/importance? I have found that this approach lets me end up seeing most of the important plays in games. I think if I just tried to follow the ball, I would never succeed.
We often taught our football defense to play an assignment-based approach when we faced a double-dive type offense that Geneseo, Rock Island, and Sterling ran with deadly precision. It helped us try to eliminate a tough offense’s best series. It was tough on the defense, but it at least gave us a chance.
We really strongly believed in not confusing our kids. The blocking, tackling, reading of blocking schemes,and proper hand placement , gave us a chance in how to correctly attack blockers.
In terms of stats, we kept things simple. On offense, we were very aware of penalties, mental mistakes, and not turning the ball over. Penalties were not accepted for any reason.
Defensively, we worked long and hard on takeaways. Takeaways by our defense were we worked on with one person tackling and the player trying to dislodge the football from the offensive player.
I am sure we didn’t reinvent the wheel or anything earth shaking here, but we got what we coached and what we demanded. If coaches gloss over these type of drills, fundamentals, and points of emphasis, the players know it’s not really important, but just killing time.
Tim Engebretson- United
“…recognize when we should focus on what we were doing compared to what our opponent was doing.”
Past articles in the HOF Insights series….
HOF Insights- Coaching Panel
Bob Anderson- Williamsfield (Boys Basketball)
Bob is retired as boys basketball coach at Williamsfield. At a school of only 89 students, in 45 years, his teams won 732 games along with numerous tourney and conference championships. His 1997 team made it to the Elite 8.
Kimberly Barth- Washington (Girls Basketball)
Coach Barth, a State Championship coach whose passion for the game began at a young age, inspired by her father and coaches who help shaped her love of the game. In her 10 years at Washington varsity head coach, she earned 8 IBCA COY Awards. In 2025 the Panthers took 3rd in State, and in 2026 they won the Illinos State Championship. While her accomplishments speak to her success in the court, her greatest impact has been developing young women through the game she loves- teaching them to compete, lead, persevere and believe in themselves.
Greg Bennett- Lewistown (Football, Track, Girls Basketball)
Jay Hatch- Alleman, Riverdale (Softball, Basketball)
Coach Hatch has won 4 State Championships- 1 in Girls Basketball and 3 in Softball. In 32 years coaching at West Des Moines Valley (Ia), Alleman, and Riverdale, he has amassed a record of 651-351. His basketball teams have won 19 Regionals and 8 Sectionals. In basketball, his team took 3rd in State (2002) and 1st in State (2005). Jay is in the IBCA Hall of Fame and the Alleman HOF.







No comments:
Post a Comment