Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 1, 2026

Ella Herchenroder- Figuring Things Out on the Golf Course
























Senior year in high school can be a year where students decide to just coast home- senioritis. Ella Herchenroder is an athlete who has decided not to coast home, she has challenged herself with a new venture. 

Ella has been an exceptional three sport athlete. She has played volleyball and basketball, and ran track. She has gone to State in track, and has been a three year starter for Streaks basketball. 

This Fall, Ella is playing golf instead of volleyball. While she played golf in grade school, until this Summer she hadn’t picked up clubs the last 3 1/2 years.


With only a couple months playing, Ella is turning heads with her play for the Streaks. In four dual meets, she has taken first or second in each match. In a large invitational at Sterling, she took third in a field of 50 golfers. Her first time out, she shot 6 over par. She has improved each time out, and just shot 3 over par. 

I talked with Ella in Thiel Gym after she finished an early morning basketball workout last week. She shared why she decided to play golf, what the challenges have been, how she feels golf will help her for basketball, and her feelings about the decision.
























It was a lot of fun to talk with Ella, here is our conversation…


Massey- How did you decide to play golf this Fall? 

Ella- Over the summer, I just picked up a club, and then couldn't stop golfing. 

Massey- I remember when you and your sisters were little that you always entered the city golf tourneys. Did you continue golfing recreationally all these years?

Ella- I hadn't golfed regularly at all. I hadn’t played golf in three and a half years. I didn't pick up a club, didn't even try anything. I just started up two or three months ago.  





















Massey- 
So you decided to golf and then you started playing golf? Or you started playing golf, enjoyed it, and then decided to join the golf team? 

Ella- I started playing, really enjoyed it. I was out on the course every single day for three hours. I just loved it, and then decided to play golf.

Massey- Athletes are more likely to excel if they have a real passion for their sport. It sure sounds like you have a passion for golf. When you are playing three hours, do you just play rounds of golf or work on specific things?

Ella- Some days are rounds of golf, and then some days I do an hour chipping, an hour putting, or an hour driving. It just depends on the day. 

Massey- Right now, what are the best parts of your game and the parts that need work?

Ella- Honestly, I'd say 100 yards in is probably my worst game right now. But it just depends on the day. 
Yesterday definitely my chipping wasn't good. 

Massey- Can you give yourself some praise?

Ella- I'd say... my irons are probably the best part of my game. 






















Massey- In the summer, you were playing golf and having fun. 
In Summer, you're playing, you're competing, you're trying to do your best, but it is casual. Now in the Fall, the season starts, more stressful? Tougher to relax?

Ella- Right now, I'm still a little nervous. I'm still a little shaky up on the tee in the first 3-4 holes, then I'm like,”Okay, I got this.”

It’s just a little more nerve wracking, because it's different people I've never talked to before. And golf this Fall, it actually matters. 
I put a lot of pressure on myself.

The first three holes are the most nerve wracking. 
But for me, putting is really nerve wracking. Especially if you are doing good, I feel like I have to make it. And then I'd say chipping, 'cause you can blade it, and it just goes across the green.

Massey- In terms of nervousness, what’s worse- long putt to win, free throw to win, or getting baton as the anchor with the race tied?

Ella- I'm not I am not used to golf as much as basketball. Basketball, I'm not really that nervous when it comes to free throws, 'cause I've done it so many times. 
I have practiced it so much more than I have golf, that gives me confidence. 

























Massey- Part of golf is bad shots. This summer when you were golfing and had a bad shots, which of these was your most likely response- throw a club, swear, or be mad and mess up the next shot?

Ella- Swear, or just end up the upset and have another bad shot right after it. I'd probably say swear and tell myself that I'm really bad. 

Massey- You have always done track, and track is the ultimate conditioner. It clearly has made you stronger and a better basketball player. In what ways do you think golf will make you a better basketball player?

Ella- I feel the mental aspect of golf will help me in basketball. In golf, it's just you, it's no one else. When you make a bad shots, you can’t blame anyone else. 

In basketball, you can let mental parts affect you. I might turn the ball over and really let it affect me. Golf has helped me realize that one bad shot can't affect your whole game. 

Going to the next play, I knew that was important, but now I've realized that's THE biggest part of sports. You have to move on. And if you don't, then things go downhill. 


























Massey- What do you enjoy about an individual sport and what do you miss about a team sport?

Ella- In golf, it's only you. 
You can't get mad at anyone else. You only rely on yourself, which is nice. In golf, you're controlling the whole game. 


In basketball, you have five on the court. You talk and support each other. Together you can make basketball fun. 

In golf, you never know about the people you are playing with. They seem to be either mean or really nice. 

Massey- Which are you? 

Ella- I am nice, I like to talk and have fun. 

Massey- Is that distracting to some of the other golfers?

Ella- No, I don't think so. 
One girl I played with, she was kind of rude and didn't talk. And then the other girl I played with was nice, and she talked. I feel like it helps me when we talk and enjoy the time. I can't just be completely serious. 
I need to have fun while doing it. 

Massey- The triplet experience is different. This is the first time you've ever done a sport without your sisters. What’s that been like?

Ella- It's a little weird. Not seeing your sisters out there is certainly different. They are your sisters, you can joke around with them and sometimes you can be mean to each other, but no matter what, we are sisters. Their support is important.

























Massey- You have golfed for a week competitively, but you have had some impressive results. 
Have you surprised yourself? or disappointed yourself at this point? 

Ella- I'd say both. The first tournament, I didn't play my best, I was disappointed in myself. I had been a little nervous. 


Right now, one hole I can do really good, and I'm proud of myself. The next hole, I can disappoint myself.

Massey- You are just getting started, but so far has it been a good decision to play golf?

Ella- Oh, the best decision of my life. 

Massey- Really?

Ella- Yeah, I love it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment