Total Pageviews

Monday, July 20, 2026

Streaks Alumni Profile- Neil Myer 1993



















Today’s “Streaks Alumni Profile” features Neil Myer from the GHS Class of 1993. 


Two things were true of Neil at GHS- 1) He was always busy and involved in activities, sports, and church. 2) He was never lukewarm about anything, he had a passion for whatever he was doing. 

Growing up in Galesburg, Neil was a die-hard Michigan State fan and I am a die-hard Wisconsin fan. While we didn’t share our #1 teams, we both shared our #2 fan. We were both fans of whoever the Illini were playing!!


Student Council Officers- What’s with the Penn State shirt?



























Favorite Teachers/Classes

American Studies (Hal Devore/Gayle Stewart) is my all time favorite class at any level of education. Other favorites included Law (John Glasnovich), Freshman and Sophomore English (Sheryl Hinman), and Civics-especially class discussion of current events (Tim Sward). Dave Peck and Steve Peachey certainly make the favorite teachers list as well.


Student Council service project. 































Sports/activities

I played tennis all four years, when I made varsity it was mostly as a doubles player (however my career varsity singles record was 2-0), freshman soccer, served as varsityboys basketball manager/statistician my first two years, was PA announcer and official scorer for the volleyball team during my junior and senior years, and traveled on weeknights to other boys and girls basketball games as a statistician/videographer/announcer as my schedule allowed. 


started working at WGIL the summer after freshman year and traveled with the broadcast teams for football and boys basketball (I lobbied to no avail at the time for WGIL to carry GHS girls basketball games). 


I was also captain of the scholastic bowl team, and served as a student council officer. My particular role meant I was the organizer of the Homecoming parade one year. Somehow I managed to appear on stage in a couple of community theater productions, and referee YMCA basketball of all age groups on Saturday mornings and early afternoons.


Neil is last row, 3rd from left




























Best memories growing up/attending GHS

Our family didn’t move to Galesburg until I was at

the very end of seventh grade, so I’ll share a sports memory from each year.


Seventh grade year: Ben Allen took me to see the Galesburg vs Quincy boys basketball game at Thiel on the weekend my Dad was “candidating” to be pastor at First Presbyterian Church. I became a Silver Streak for life that night, even though it was a heartbreaking last second loss.


Eighth grade year: being PA announcer for Churchill Blue Streaks home basketball games.


Freshman year: Girls basketball beating Moline for the WB6 title and boys basketball upset of Rock Island in the Sectional semifinal at Wharton Field House. I was sitting next to soon to be GHS Hall of Famer Jay Redfern in the press overflow area on the front row of the balcony. When it was clear the Streaks were going to pull off the shocker, Jay “broke character” and

jumped to his feet saying “We’re going to win!” An indelible memory


Scholastic Bowl



































Sophomore year: boys basketball holiday tournament at Collinsville. After a tough semifinal loss to the hosts, Streaks came back to beat Granite City for third place and Elmer Dickerson, Jason Shay and Scott Lummis all made the all-tournament team.


Junior year: being in the press box for the snowy playoff football game vs,Joliet Catholic and watching Mike Alstott in action.


Senior year: Tennis Coach Bill Sargent put Nate Bobofchak’s name in the envelope as a singles player, surprising all the other coaches and teams (who thought Nate and brother Mark wouldplay doubles). Nate went out and upset Eric Adler of Moline in sectional to make it to state along with John Currie who also qualified in singles.


Scholastic Bowl team- Neil again wearing Penn State. 






















Education after GHS

BA in Journalism from Michigan State (East Lansing, MI) and MA in

Christian Education from Union Presbyterian Seminary (Richmond, VA)


Career

Starting in high school I spent the decade of the 90’s active in sports media and sports broadcasting even while in college. I had the joy of being the play-by-play voice of the 1997-98 Elite 8 and 1998-99 state runner up seasons of Galesburg girls basketball alongside my Dad for WGIL. I’ve always said I could have continued down the broadcasting path and even if I called a Super Bowl it wouldn’t have been as special as doing the thing I loved most with one of the people I loved most.


I’ve been in various ministry roles in Presbyterian Church (USA) congregations for more than 25 years now. Most of that time has been in youth ministry, college ministry and some children’s/family and intergenerational ministry along the way. In addition to ministry on the local level, I’ve had the privilege of serving as a leader for various national and regional church conferences and boards.


Neil and family


































Up to today

For almost 11 years now I have worked at the Presbyterian Church in East

Lansing, MI and as Presbyterian Campus Minister for students at Michigan State. 


I live here with my wife and two kids and we love being so close to campus for all the arts, music, museums, gardens,sporting events and more. This year we became athlete’s parents for the first time with

our oldest, and our youngest is in her second year playing softball. I’m a volunteer assistant coach for softball.


Neil and family




























Advice for present students/athletes 

Be curious- Ask questions to learn things academically, athletically and socially. Build relationships/get to know the classmates, teammates, faculty, staff and coaches around you. You are likely surrounded by some amazing people and it’s easy to take for granted. 


Practice gratitude- Even in tough times there is always something to be

thankful for and practicing gratitude along the way is a great life skill. 


Serve the community-Being a Silver Streak is a privilege and a unique experience, find ways to give back

that fit the gifts and skills you’ve been given.


1 comment:

  1. OMG, Neil, how DO you remember all the details and names? With respect for that❤️

    ReplyDelete