Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Streaks Alumni Profile- Kyle Barshinger 2008



















Today’s “Streaks Alumni Profile” features Kyle Barshinger of the GHS Class of 2008. 


Kyle was active at GHS in sports, band, and many activities. He used GHS as an opportunity to explore a variety of interests. 

Today, Kyle is back in Galesburg teaching at GHS. He is one of the leaders of the excellent GHS bands. We are so lucky to have someone of Kyle’s talents to choose to come back and be a leader at GHS. 






















Favorite teacher/classes
Band with Mr. Ericson, Mrs. Melugin, Ms. Mr. Klassy, and Mr. Bredemier. AP Calc with Mrs. Eisemann was my favorite non-band class.

Sports/activities at GHS
Cross Country (Freshman), Diving (Freshman/Sophomore), Tennis (Freshman/Sophomore). Marching band, jazz band, musical theater pit band, winter Drumline, math club, WYSE, Scholastic Bowl, NHS.





















Best memories of growing up in Galesburg/attending GHS
So many to choose from. For sure, being at Football games growing up, getting to be the ball boy for the team as well as getting an up close and personal performance by the GHS band. 

Growing up, I’ll always remember going down to ISU with the Peachey family to watch the girls play at state. 

I also was really fond of my time in the Galesburg Youth Baseball League. 

In high school, I remember clearly the first full ensemble practice I had with the Marching streaks as a freshman. My senior year performance at U of I was quite memorable as well. 




































Education after GHS
Graduated with a Bachelor’s of Music Education from Illinois State University in 2013

Career
Associate Director of Bands GHS (2014-2016)
Silas/Gale general music (2016-2017)
ICS band director (Monmouth) (2016-2017)
Band Director Monmouth-Roseville (2017-2022)
Associate Director of Bands GHS (2022-present)

National Honor Society



































What are you up to today
I teach Band and guitar in the Galesburg school district as well as direct the musical pit, and help out with the newly formed competitive Winter Guard.

Outside of school, I play with the Knox-Galesburg Symphony and the Knox College concert band.  I also will play in musical pits for various musical productions in the area.

Advice for present students/athletes
Be in the moment as much as you can. It is good to have long term goals and aspirations, but make sure you are enjoying the journey along the way, whether it is a tough practice, a road trip to a game/performance/presentation, or performing at the highest level. 





































Besides learning to play an instrument, what life skills does band teach you?
The two big things band taught me was time management and how to practice. Especially as I got older and involved in more music groups, I really had to stay on top of not only learning all of my music but also keeping up with all of my academics and activities as well.

In terms of practice, to excel to higher levels, you really have to break things down, take things slowly, and build until you can’t do it wrong. I feel like I’ve been able to apply that process to learning so many other skills throughout my life.



































Why Galesburg? 
Galesburg gave me so many opportunities throughout my time growing up! From all the opportunities I had to play sports (I think I tried just about every one), the opportunities to learn and perform music, it has given me so much. 

Galesburg is also a town that really supports the fine arts, from band to choir to theater, people show up for those programs. It has also been fun to watch Galesburg adapt and rebrand itself from when I was in high school to now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment