Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Coaching 101- Players' Talk About Having Their Parent As Coach

Sean & Mike Reynolds

Today, I get a chance to “talk” with five players who had their dads as their high school coaches. 

Colton and Trey Sigel played for their father, Thom at Rock Island. Trey went onto play at Wisconsin-Platteville and now is in the business world. Colton will be a senior at Carthage College and has played basketball. 

Emma Scheffler just graduated after playing for her dad, Brad at Springfield. She will be attending Iowa State next year. 

Lauren Hall played for her dad, Henry at Rock Island. She then went onto play at Augustana College, and will now be on her dad’s coaching staff at Rocky. 

Sean Reynolds plays for his father, Mike Reynolds at DeKalb. He will be entering his senior year and is in the middle of the recruiting process with college coached. 

Massey- What are the pluses of having a parent coach you? Are there parts of this experience that you found especially rewarding?


Colton & Thom Sigel

Colton Sigel
- One thing that I would say is very rewarding is the ability to see the game differently and see it from a different perspective.


Trey Sigel- I would say the main plus was being able to share time with him. With everyone having busy days, it was just nice to be in the same spot as him for a few hours a day. Not every kid can say that. It was definitely rewarding celebrating the big wins and successes over the course of the seasons. I would also add that it brought us closer together...I learned more about him as a person and he learned more who I was as a person. Overall a very neat and unique experience that not everyone gets. We got to share our relationship with the public. 

Emma Scheffler

Emma Scheffler
- One of the major pluses of having a parent coach you is the opportunity to get up extra shots in the gym. I would always love going into the gym to get up some extra shots especially before any big games that would be coming up. By having a parent as a coach I also knew some of the schedule changes before some of the other players which was always nice to know the schedule ahead of time.

Lauren Hall- A plus of having my Dad Coach me at Rocky was the simple fact that I always had a loved one there to watch me. My dad watched me grow up, and he knew my game more than anyone. He knows me like the back of his hand, he knew when I was frustrated, irritated, and even when I was in the zone! The best way to coach anyone is the relationships you build with them, and my Dad and I already had that going in. 

Sean Reynolds- Pluses of having a parent as a coach is that they will always be at your bad games and good games and having your top supporter there through the good and the bad and can relate to everything is something that is very rewarding. Always having access to the gym and weight room has been very rewarding as well.  


Massey- What are negatives of your parent coaching you? Are there parts of this experience that sometimes create frustrations or stress?


Thom & Trey Sigel

Colton Sigel
- The outside noise of other people is the one thing that me and my siblings experienced the most, but, it made us tougher and better people because of it. 


Trey Sigel- Probably the disagreements at practice or in the heat of the games. We didn't have many disagreements but it was fiery when we did. Another negative would be dealing with fellow teammates or players in the organization who thought I would be getting preferential treatment. You could add in that even parents/people in the community thought this as well. Since Rocky has such a rich tradition in boys basketball, I always felt the need to prove myself day in and day out (guess you could say that made me better too). I had to earn the respect of my teammates more than anyone else had to...especially my sophomore and junior years. 

Lauren Hall

Emma Scheffler
- There really have not been any negatives. I have grown up playing for him, I was used to his style and his knowledge of the game. But if I would have to say a negative it would be there is always someone who wants to say “it’s because her dad is the coach”, which is frustrating because it can negate all the hard work and years of practice that I personally put into developing my own game to be the player I am which creates little extra pressure to prove myself in that aspect.

Lauren Hall- I would not necessarily say it is a negative, but people talk. I had to work extremely hard, and always be okay with being set as the example because my father was there. I always went the extra mile, so there was ZERO impression that things were being handed to me. As a High School teenager, that can be extremely hard, especially when you are playing with your peers. 

Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds
- Negative things about having a parent as your coach is you see them everyday all day and sometimes it gets hard where you need space from each other. It’s good to hear another voice once in and while and can definitely create a little bit of stress and frustration. 









Massey- Either going into this or during this experience, what is the best advice you got from anyone?


Colton Sigel- To block out the noise and focus on what is important, and that is the team and making sure you always lead because that will turn into wins. 


Colton Sigel

Trey Sigel
- The best advice I received going through this experience was: Never put myself or my dad in a position where my teammates, anyone in the program, or anyone in the community questioned why I was playing a lot or starting. Essentially work hard every day, do the right things on and off the court, be a good teammate, and the rest will take care of itself. 

Emma Scheffler- Coming into this experience people would always tell me just to “play my game.” There was also a former player whose dad also coached her and that my dad coached, she told me that if she had a rough game or rough practice, when she got home she would take the longest shower ever cause they can’t talk while you’re in the shower. Lol, I only had to do that a couple times. But honestly, he did a good job of leaving the coach side at the court and being my dad once he got home.

Emma with “Dad” & Mom

Lauren Hall
- The best advice to give anyone is to leave basketball at basketball. My father was COACH at practice and DAD at home. They never intermingled. You would have never known he was my father, and I never expected anything more because if anything I was almost set to a higher standard because he was there. You have to be okay with that. Ignore what people say and just be a Ball Player!







Sean Reynolds
- The advice I got was really cherish it. Cherish every moment the good and the bad because you only get a little amount of time to be a player to your parent. It’s going to be fun and quick and it will fly by if you don’t stop and enjoy the moment you’re in. 


Massey- Did you and your dad go into this, having any agreements about what was going to happen? Did your mom have any rules?


Trey Sigel vs Wisconsin

Colton Sigel
- My moms one rule was not to bring basketball back to the dinner table at the end of the day, and we didnt follow that rule very well. 


Trey Sigel- We definitely tried to leave it all on the court and not bring anything home. We did a good job of that. Mom was very supportive and she didn't have any rules (that I was aware of haha). I don't remember having any specific agreements. 



Emma Scheffler- My dad always made it clear I would have to work harder to prove myself because he was my coach and there would be people to assume I would play simply because I am coaches daughter. My mom’s rule was once we got home, to not talk about the game unless I brought it up and he can only respond as a dad, not as the coach. 

Lauren Hall

Lauren Hall
- Going into it, we had one rule. He was NEVER my dad at basketball. We always separated basketball and home life. Whatever happened at practice, stayed at practice. We never brought it home (my mother would not allow it as well). We would talk about it at home only if I wanted to. Of course that can be difficult, as my brother plays basketball and both my parents are coaches... the basketball talk never ends at the Hall House LOL! 

Sean Reynolds- Basically the only agreement was i was going to work for everything I got. Everything is going to be earned not given. 





Massey- Any advice you would give to other players who will have a parent coach?


Emma Scheffler

Colton Sigel
- Definitely enjoy it while it last. But the one thing I would tell players is to focus on the things that are important and not let anyones opinion or words get in the way. Everyone will have something to say so just keep focusing on the little things and what is important to you. 

Sean Reynolds



Trey Sigel- I would probably relay the advice I got from answer #3....as a coach's kid, you HAVE to go the extra mile and outwork others to gain the respect from teammates and the community. Sometimes it seems unfair but it will make you a better player and person when you have that mindset.  

Emma Scheffler- My advice I would give to other players who will have a parent coach is to just have fun and enjoy playing the sport with your teammates because it will be some of the best memories you will be able to look back on!

Sean Reynolds- I would give to other players the same advice I got- it would be to just enjoy it because it’s super fun. So just cherish it and enjoy the moment. 


Massey- I really enjoy doing these blogs- it gives me a chance to “talk” to people who I admire and ask them an all the questions I want to ask. This blog with these four coach/dads, and then these 5 players was really enjoyable. I REALLY appreciate that they took the time to answer these questions. But sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words. I smiled when I saw these three pictures- I think they capture the essence of the relationship between coach and player, and a dad and daughter. 

Emma Scheffler is a player doing what players do- competing to win. 
Brad Scheffler is doing what coaches do- coaching his team to win. 

Springfield wins the City Championship- #3 Emma Scheffler does what players do after a big win- she celebrates with her teammates. 


After celebrating with her teammates- Emma gets a chance celebrate with her coach and her dad- in their shared victory!! 


Read other part of this- Coaching 101- Parents Talk About Coaching Their Son/Daughter- (Click Here)- Coaching 101- Parents Talk About Coaching Their Children

No comments:

Post a Comment