Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Hoosiers- Quotes & Lessons


This blog page is dedicated to Coach Dan Sullivan. One summer at Bucks Camp in Galesburg, we played Hoosiers non-stop for an entire week. Between Dan and the movie- I felt I got a PhD in basketball that week. Thanks Dan! It was always fun!

Hoosiers is my favorite sports movie. It is a coaches clinic. I am listing some of my favorite quotes from Hoosiers, and the "coaching lessons" from each quote. 

I would like to hear from you in the comments.

1- What is your favorite Hoosiers quote? Why?

2- What are your favorite quotes from other sports movies?


Coach Dale: “My practices aren’t designed for your enjoyment.”

Lesson: Practices need to be tougher than games.


Coach Dale: “Strap, God wants you on the floor.”

Lesson: Players need to play for a something bigger than themselves.



Coach Dale: “What’s gotten into you.”

Strap: “The Lord. I can feel His strength.”

Coach Dale: “Keep his strength in the dribble.”

Lesson: Make sure players know their roles. 


Coach Dale: “My team’s on the floor.”

Lesson: The greatest tool in holding players accountable is playing time. 


Coach Dale: “Let’s be real friendly here, okay? My name is Norm. Secondly, your coaching days are over.”

Lesson: Coach is in charge.



Jimmy Chitwood: “I play, coach stays. He goes, I go.”

Lesson: Successful teams have loyalty between coaches and players.


Coach Dale: “Strap, in for Everett. Don’t shoot the ball unless you’re under the basket all by yourself.”

Lesson: Effective coaches teach players what is a good and bad shot.


Buddy: “It was Dentyne.”

Lesson: Defense wins championships.


Coach Dale: “Make it a good one Strap.”

Lesson: Anything you are going to do, do it well.



Coach Dale: “Ten feet. I think you’ll find it’s exact same measurement as our gym in Hickory.”

Lesson: No matter how big the game, if you keep your focus the same as it has been.


Shooter: “I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.”

Lesson: Surround yourself with assistant coaches who have enthusiasm.


Shooter: “You gotta promise me you won’t get kicked outta no more games.”

Coach Dale: “Scout’s honor.”

Lesson: Listen to your assistants, but do what you think is best.


Merle Bebe: “Let’s win this one for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here.”

Lesson: Always try to get players to feel part of something bigger than themselves.



Coach Dale: “I love you guys.”

Lesson: Relationships are the most important thing in coaching.


Coach Dale: “If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential, to be the best that you can be, I don’t care what the scoreboard says at the end the game, in my book we’re gonna be winners.” 

Lesson: Focus more on the process than on the outcome.


Sheriff: “This town doesn’t like change much.”

Minister: “Zone defense is all we’ve played in the past.”

Lesson: Coaches are going to be held responsible for wins and losses, so do it your way.



Coach Dale: “Welcome to Indiana basketball.”

Lesson: When you take a coaching job, know what the politics of that job are.


Preacher: “And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. It struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen.”

Lesson: The greatest joy in sports is finding out individually and as a team that you are capable of more than you realized. 


Please Add in Comments & Put Your Name:

1- Your favorite Hoosiers quote and why?

2- Your other favorite sports movie quotes?




4 comments:

  1. Love it ALL Massey. And youre right! I never looked at the movie as a coaching clinic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Massey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite Line: "I ain't no gizzard."
    Why: I actually auditioned for Hoosiers and that's the line I read for David Anspaugh. Didn't get the part. Here is Galesburg connection. I was at Knox when the phone rang in Conger 2 and some lady offered me a chance to be on the opposing team and I turned it down on the spot because it conflicted with finals and the start of basketball season. Is there a lesson there, Coach?

    I think you need to rewatch Bad News Bears and compare/contrast Norman Dale and Morris Buttermaker. Buttermaker gave us the Cool Karl Karansky Shift.
    Lesson: Know your opponents and put your players in the best possible position to win.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrjJFNDQJbM

    ReplyDelete