Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 5, 2024

Streaks Photos- 1980 The Huddle


This is one of my all-time favorite Streaks pictures. This was my second Streaks girls basketball team. Seated from left to right is Amy Crisman, Teresa Powell, Cookie Rosine, Lesa Moore, and Lyndale Pickrel. To my left is assistant coach, Marv Cochran, and I am in the beautiful plaid sport coat. (I still can’t believe my wife threw it out.)

After I switched from coaching boys basketball to girls basketball, some would ask if it was different. I always tried to have the same expectation when coaching boys and coaching girls. It was easier to get females to buy into the team first attitude- they seemed to have a stronger desire to be part of a team. 

You can see in this picture why I immediately thought it was a good decision to coach girls basketball. Their body language in this picture shows they were committed and they wanted to be coached. Having committed players who want to be coach is the greatest reward any coach can have. 

This team went 21-4, won the Western Big Six, and were ranked #7 in one of the first ever State Polls. They lost in the Regional Championship to Limestone. 

This may have been the most athletic team that I ever coached. 


Amy Crisman- went to State in tennis and was a star basketball player on the college level.

Teresa Powell- went onto play D1 volleyball at Western Illinois.

Cookie Rosine- played golf for the University of Iowa.

Lesa Moore- played basketball and volleyball at EIU before transferring and playing volleyball at Louisville. 

Lyndale Pickrel- placed at State in the long jump.

Amanda Allen- took second in doubles at State in tennis and played at SIU. 

Perhaps if their coach was not so inexperienced, they might have had greater success. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Coach! I loved this team!
    It definitely was special!

    ReplyDelete