Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 15, 2024

Coach Biddle- A Big Thank You


Josh Biddle started coaching JH boys basketball at Lombard about 20 years ago. During his career, he has also coached JH track and HS softball. He started coaching JH girls basketball in 2014-5, and coached both girls and boys JH basketball for three years. Then for the next five years he coached both JH girls and HS freshmen girls basketball. So for 8 years, he coached two different basketball teams. He has stepped down this year from his position as 9th grade girls coach. 


Josh is a tremendous teacher. He didn’t just do drills, he used drills as a way to teach. He made the players aware of important details. He was a master of teaching fundamentals.  

Basketball was Josh’s classroom. He always was looking for new ways to teach a skill. On the varsity level, we were using the “Biddle Dribbling Drill,” the “Biddle Shooting Drill,” and other drills that Coach Biddle developed. But not only did he develop drills, he was a master at stopping drills and pointing out the little details that needed to be perfected. 



The best player on his team, and the players who didn’t get to play as much, all recognized that Coach Biddle was totally invested in their development as a player. If a player was struggling, he worried about how he could help them. 


He did not consider himself just the Freshman Coach, he invested time in helping the FS team as well as the Varsity team. For the varsity, he watched film on opponents and would send me suggestions. Two examples of the many times he helped the varsity- In prep for Dixon in the Regional in 2023, after watching film of Dixon, he helped develop our plan as to how to guard the post players. In practice then, he set up drills to teach the posts how to defend their posts. And then did the same thing in our prep for Morton. We would never have made it to the Sectional without Josh’s ideas and his work with the posts. 


Above all, Josh is a “team player.” He always put the program above himself as a coach and above his team. He always wanted what was best for the program. He gave so much to Streaks Basketball. Thanks- Josh!

If I am going to be totally honest, I must acknowledge that Josh did struggle being in the “big city.” He went to Yorkwood and played basketball. He always bragged he was the best left handed shooter in Yorkwood history. He came to Galesburg, and he looked around the gym and realized that Riley Jenkins, Annabelle Giles, Taylor Herchenroder, and I were all much better left handed shooters than Josh. 

I asked some of his former players who had him as coach in JH or as Freshmen to share their thoughts about Josh. 


Ella Herchenroder- Coach biddle made me enjoy basketball more and more with the drills he did and how he always wanted us to get better and better ourselves on and off the court. I’m going to miss him very much.

Camellia Schwartzman- He was very dedicated and focused on our team to improve our defense. I had a great time playing for Coach Biddle!

Chad ThompsonI was on Coach Biddle’s first team as a coach in Galesburg. 7th grade at Lombard. I remember that he was a very energetic coach that really taught fundamentals. The way that he explained things made basketball easy to understand at a young age. Now as a coach as well, it has been great getting to pick his brain and get to know him on that side of the ball. 


Antonia Kisler- Coach Biddle helped me feel so welcome in the GHS girls basketball program. I knew some of the girls, but I really struggled with all the plays and playing different positions. He had so much patience for me when I would mess up all the time. Basketball became my favorite sport and thing to do because of his impact my freshman year.

Grace Herchenroder- Coach Biddle was an amazing coach. He was pushing me to be a kind but agressive player. He made me really enjoy basketball! He could always get a laugh out of me even when I wasn't in a good mood. I knew he gave it his all to our team. I am going to miss him!

Kelsey Legge- Coach Biddle was my 8th grade basketball coach at Lombard. It was his first year coaching the girls team! He’s an amazing fundamental coach and was always good at making sure everyone felt included. He’s definitely one of my favorite coaches to have coached me and I’ve also enjoyed getting to coach with him at the high school!


Riley Jenkins
Coach Biddle had a positive impact on and off the court. He was an impactful coach and a great role model. I’ll always be grateful to have had him as a coach. 

Taylor Herchenroder- Coach Biddle was patient with us even when I know it was hard. He worked on the fundamentals and made sure we had them down.  He also made sure we had fun. Coach Biddle didn’t hold it against us that Aaron was our uncle. 

Mark Harden Jr.Playing for Coach Biddle was awesome! He taught us the Xs and Os while also teaching us how to be young men. He developed a personal relationship with each player no matter who you were and will always respect him for that!

Lexi Demott- Coach Biddle has meant a lot to the girls basketball program for many years. For years Coach Biddle coached the 8th grade girls and freshmen girls. Coach Biddle did such an outstanding job teaching young athletes the fundamentals of basketball. His positivity, enthusiasm, skill development work, and dedication will be missed this upcoming season. The Girls Basketball program wishes Coach Biddle the best. We hope to see Coach Biddle back on the sideline in the future! 

My conclusion- You will be missed, hopefully at some point you will get involved again. In the meantime, I hope you will sit with me at games and help second guess Coach Demott!!


No comments:

Post a Comment