Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 5, 2024

Plans and Plays- Looking Back At The Best and Worst


I asked readers for some suggestions on things to write about. Eric Doss suggested that I look at some of the X/O’s and strategies that either I used or saw during my 50 years of coaching. I like the idea, and I have already enjoyed reflecting back on possible topics. 


I am planning to call this line of posts- Plans and Plays. I want to look at strategy, practices, and scouting reports (Plans), and then look at last second shots and our best plays (Plays). I hope to do at least one Plans and Plays blog per week. As I look at past Plans and Plays, I hope to look at some that worked and some that did not work. 


I don’t mean to insult you but I want to start out by explaining how to read diagrams that I may put up. I am “old school” when it comes to the rules for diagraming plays.

O’s are always offense, and X’s are always defense. If you switch them around, I am really not interested in what you have to say- I just can’t work thru it. 

Solid line with arrow is a cut. Dotted line with arrow is a pass. Squiggly line is a dribbler. 

When I diagram an offensive play with no defense, I always number the offensive players #1 thru #5. Whoever starts with the ball, their number is circled. 


I realize some today would say basketball should be positionless- for me-

#1= Point Guard

#2- Shooting guard

#3- Small forward

#4- Inside post player, runs the floor on makes

#5- Outside post player- takes the ball out- usually is on the perimeter


My numbering for #4 and #5 are opposite of most but when I started using #’s, I had just put in Paul Westhead’s numbered break and that is how Westhead numbered. 

I hope as I go thru this it will be an exercise where maybe it can be a combination of a clinic and in some cases a trip down memory lane.

Thanks to Eric for the idea!!

1 comment:

  1. Exactly how I did it. Also had players diagram plays in the notebook over a weekend or holiday break. They used same format.

    ReplyDelete