Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Wynne's- Positive Sports Family


I have posted blogs with negative stories about parents being out of control. Stories about parents thinking the purpose of high school sports is to get scholarships, obsessed with stats, or out of control about winning. I thought it was time to do a positive story about athletic parents.
 

I first knew John and Michelle Wynne from when Michelle was the 8th grade coach at Churchill. I can still run into her former players and they ask me how Coach Wynne is doing. No coach did a better job of getting JH girls excited to play basketball. She cared about the players, she was enthusiastic about basketball, and she convinced them how great it would be for them to play at Galesburg HS.

 

John was instrumental in our success, particularly in 1996. When we went to State, in our walk thru at State, he played the role of Taija Catchings. I would like to say when we played Stevenson that Catchings was not as good as John had been, but that would not be true- we lost. Catchings was better than John, not as enthusiastic as John.


 


Anybody who knows their children- Gary, Claire, and Evan- knows they have all been successful at whatever they do. They are product of a great home with great parents. (Although I worried a lot about Gary when he had his orange and blue, Illini room.)

 

I am not going to try to say that Gary, Claire, and Evan were successful just because of high school athletics. Their athletic experience was just one ingredient that has produced their success. John and Michelle allowed sports to be a positive, educational experience- they were great athletic parents. Gary, Claire, and Evan were not playing HS sports to fulfill the dreams and ego of their parents. Their parents allowed sports to be about their kids.


As a coach, I always hoped that my athletes' experiences would allow them to be successful later in life doing things more important than sports. John, Michelle, and their high school coaches did a good job!

 


Massey- Tell me where you went to college and what you chose to study. And then if have advanced degree- in what, from where.


Gary- Iowa State University, Agricultural Business & International Agriculture; Oklahoma State University, Agricultural Economics & Global Studies

 

Claire- I attended the University of Nebraska in Lincoln and graduated in 2021. My bachelor’s degree was in Communication Sciences and Disorders. From there, I went on to receive my master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology from St. Ambrose University.

Evan W.- I graduated from Oklahoma State University this Spring with a degree in Animal Science and a concentration in Business.



Massey- I am so relieved that none of you chose Illinois. What drew you to your undergrad school and what are your best memories of that school?


Gary- I always thought I'd choose to be an Illini. Though after I toured Iowa State for the first time, I quickly knew it was the right place for me. I was impressed by the people -- they had a genuine interest in getting to know me and what I was looking for in my college experience. The campus is also very beautiful and the Agricultural Business program is fantastic. I have so many great memories from Iowa State -- tailgating for football games and watching basketball in Hilton Coliseum, Dance Marathon and Salt Company, studying abroad in Spain. But I think my best memories are the most common to any college experience, just with the right people -- studying at the go-to coffee shop with a friend, getting to know a professor, playing intramurals with a high school athlete's mentality but a newly-realized college student's physical condition. 

 


Claire- 
Nebraska was the last of my college visits. I immediately felt “at home” and eager to attend there. The campus was inviting and appeared to be full of opportunities to get involved and meet others. The people were very kind and so happy to be Huskers. I met some of my closest, lifelong friends during undergraduate school. A few of my favorite memories include going to Saturday football games, events with my sorority Gamma Phi Beta, and spending time in the Haymarket downtown area.

Evan W.- It was a tough decision picking a college and I toured many schools. However, my visit to Oklahoma State immediately made me feel at home. The best memories I’ll take with me are the connections and learning experiences gained from going to a school ten hours away from home. 



Massey- Claire- do you think Nebraska will ever beat Wisconsin in your lifetime?

Claire- Considering women’s basketball is in the spotlight right now, statistics show that Nebraska has a 16-2 edge over Wisconsin. If we are talking football, that is a different story. But, we don’t need to get into that. In the most recent regular season conference game, Nebraska men’s basketball beat Wisconsin, in overtime I might add. Go Big Red!


Massey- Someday I will learn not to talk trash with a Wynne. John still gets me angry when I talk to him about the Illini. For Evan and Gary- next year OSU plays bb at Tulsa. Can you give Allen a quick scouting report? Who will you be rooting for?

Gary- I'm a fan of Coach Allen Massey, but I have to root for the Cowboys. OSU hired a new coach in April. I think the first challenge for the new coach is rebuilding the culture -- making OSU known for basketball to get the right recruits to town. In the past couple of seasons, the Cowboys have had good talent but lacked team chemistry. I think this chemistry issue turns into high turnovers and an uncoordinated offense. 

Evan W.- OSU has a new head coach for next year, we have struggled the last few years but I have a good feeling about the new coaching staff. I’ll root for both teams, as long as they aren’t the Wisconsin Badgers. 



Massey- I really don’t think it would hurt you for one night to be Golden Hurricane fans. I hope I will be in Tulsa that night. What are you doing now?

Gary- I'm in Stillwater, Oklahoma, working as a graduate assistant and finishing my thesis. I work in the Department of Agricultural Economics where I research entrepreneurship as an economic development strategy for rural communities. I will be done with my thesis in July, so I'm also figuring out my next step for after graduate school. 

 

Claire- I recently completed my clinical fellowship with Grant Wood Area Education Agency. I served as the speech-language pathologist in two elementary schools and two preschools. Currently, I am job searching for a clinical setting that includes speech therapy for both pediatric and adult patients. 

Evan W.- After graduating I decided to come home for the summer since I haven’t been able to spend much time at home since going to OSU. I plan on taking a job in Iowa this fall as a seed salesman. 



Massey-  All of you played a variety of sports in HS. Now as young adults, the skills of the sport you learned are not as important as some of the “life-lessons.” As you look back, what did playing HS sports do for you?

Gary- There's a lot that comes to mind. Sports taught me discipline and determination through committing to summer workouts, morning weights, or the final quarter when I was tired. They taught me how to win humbly and, more importantly, how to lose gracefully. What also comes to mind are the coaches and the impact they had on me. My childhood was Silver Streaks girls basketball. Mom was coaching the freshmen team when I was born and later coached at Churchill until I started junior high school. I loved growing up around Silver Streaks basketball. When there were leftover jerseys, my siblings and I would put them on and run around listening to "Jump" by Van Halen like we were warming up for a game. Sure, we loved the game of basketball, but it was because of the people -- the coaches, players, and fans -- that we loved Silver Streaks basketball. 

 


When the season ends, the relationships don't and you remember how coaches made you feel. In addition to my mom and the coaches at Galesburg, I was fortunate to learn leadership through many other coaches. When Jim Noonan coached my high school team at United, he would meet me at the gym a few days each week during the off-season before school to get shoots up. Alex Coppejans coached the AAU team I was on and developed my confidence as a player and also as a young man. When I ran hurdles for the track team, Jerry Platt recognized my potential and always encouraged me. I share all this to show that through playing high school sports, I learned the game but also leadership. And that leadership was learned through my relationship with the coach. Now, in whatever I do, I hope to build the vision and community that Silver Streaks coaches built, to sacrifice for others like Coach Noonan did for me, to build confidence in others like Coach Coppejans, and to challenge and encourage like Coach Platt. 

 


Claire- 
Playing sports in high school, and even earlier on in my childhood, taught me the value in goal setting, strong teamwork, and composure. Often in life we are dealt with challenges that require us to lean on others and respond with composure. Sports helped me understand the need for reliable people in life. People you can trust to help the group work toward a common goal or push you toward your individual goals. 

 

Playing sports also helped me learn the value in being disciplined and adaptable. Again, the ebb and flow of life can bring along good and hard moments. Sports led me to understand that being adaptable is a necessity in life. Lastly, throughout the years playing sports, I learned that the path filled with discipline may not always be the easiest, but the outcome and lessons learned are always worth it. 

Evan W.- Playing high school sports taught me how to persevere through many obstacles. Being able to adapt to different situations is very important in sports and day to day life. 


Massey- What are some of your HS sports memories?


Gary- It's not from high school, but having my mom as my 8th grade basketball coach was my favorite memory. Our team went 19-2 and had a ton of fun doing it. A high school memory I still laugh about is from when I ran hurdles. My little brother Evan was probably around 9 years old and was already very competitive. If I didn't win the race (which was most races), Evan would cry for me. I never knew if he was sad that I lost or disappointed in me for losing. He later went on to run junior high hurdles and won a lot more races than I ever did.

 

Claire- A few high school sports memories that come to mind include University of Northern Iowa and Illinois State University team volleyball camps in the summer months and winning a regional title and the first round of sectionals my senior year in volleyball going 32-5 that season. 

 


Prior to high school, I have fond memories of playing basketball for my mom in junior high. I remember having so much fun playing for her. Even earlier into my childhood, I have memories of going to Churchill Junior High for the girl’s practices when my mom coached there. I loved watching my mom coach and enjoy the game of basketball. I remember looking up to players like Tai Peachey, Jessica Howard, Megan Young, Taylor Young, Sara Baker, and so many more.

 


Evan W.- I have many good memories from playing basketball, baseball, golf, and football. Although I have many memories of some of the best games I played or plaques my teams won, my best memories were from bus rides, locker rooms, and hanging out with friends before and after games. 


Massey- I would never want to give your parents a compliment to their face, but they were good “sports parents.” As you look back, what did your parents do that made athletics a positive experience for you?

Gary- They made it happen! I know they both made sacrifices to give me opportunities. Taking me to games, morning weights, and summer camps. When mom was coaching at Churchill, she would finish her practice and then I would want to stay after to run my own workouts with her. During the Fall she would drive me to Peoria for a shooting camp, and during the summer she would road-trip across the Midwest for me to play AAU games. If dad couldn't join, I knew he was at the farm taking on my share of the work. They made the experiences possible. 

 

Claire- My parents always encouraged me to work hard and have fun. They helped me become a better leader by focusing on more than the game/sport. As competitive people winning was important to us, but my parents often emphasized the value of being a good person and teammate.

 


They were positive influences after games too. Whether it was a tough loss or we won the game, my parents made sure to listen and respond with encouragement. Mom and Dad helped me to see something valuable to learn in every situation. They advised me to take that game or moment as it is, learn from it, and move onto the next. 

 

Mom taught me so much about the game of basketball itself. My passion for this sport definitely comes from her. So often I wish I could go back in time to watch her play a game of basketball.

Evan W.- Growing up going to basketball practices Mom coached at Churchill or traveling with the Galesburg girls basketball team to games was a great way learning about the game of basketball. Also when I was younger, Mom would play baseball catch or hit grounders to me in the back yard for hours and hours.

Dad would support me in any decision I wanted to make. Having his support always gave me confidence with whatever I did. Even if I decided to play cricket or lacrosse, he would support me.



Massey-  I grew up in a small town and went to a small HS. I am sure as you grew up there may have been times you wanted to get out of the small school. Now looking back, what do you feel the advantages were for you going to a small school?

Gary- Opportunities and community. At a small high school, you can get as involved as you'd like. There are probably fewer options to choose from compared to a large high school, but I was able to play sports, join clubs, and still manage my classes. I knew all of my classmates well and could build a relationship with each teacher. There were a lot of people in my senior class who were also in my kindergarten class!

 

Claire- A small town high school has its perks. When the community is excited about a sport or team, the support can bring so much enthusiasm to the players’ experiences and the overall school spirit. Especially during my volleyball seasons, the support from our classmates and community felt magnified because of the fact that we went to a small school. It was always a source of encouragement to see a large crowd in the stands before a game. Outside of sports, I appreciated the chance to get to know so many people in the school, which was in part due to attending a small school.

Evan W.- I think going to a small school has many benefits. You build closer relationships with your coaches and teammates. Going to a small school, you are also able to play every sport which I think is very beneficial for all athletes. Each sport can teach you something different that you can take with you in life.



Massey- Some questions about your mom and dad. Which one of your parents is the answer to the following:


Massey- You needed $20, who was best to go to?

 

Gary- Mom

 

Claire- Not that Dad would say no, but I often went to Mom for this growing up.

Evan W.- Both parents were always willing to help a fella out. 

Massey- If they are trying to tell a joke or funny story- who is going to be most likely to make you laugh?

 

Gary- Dad

 

Claire- Dad is most likely to make me laugh. His sense of humor and eagerness to make others laugh makes all of us laugh often.

Evan W.- Dad can be funny sometimes, but I think I could tell some funnier jokes than him.


Massey- If you got in fender bender in HS, who do want to tell?

 

Gary- Dad

 

Claire- This actually happened to me. I think I called my dad first.

Evan W.- I would call mom first, then ask her what I should say to dad when I call him. 

Massey- Who yelled at refs more during your games?

 

Gary- Dad, haha

 

Claire- Dad, but he usually kept it to a minimum I would say.

 

Evan W.- Dad was usually the one to yell things at the refs. I know mom wanted to yell things as well, but she usually just kept her thoughts in her head.


Massey- If you had trouble with a homework assignment, who do you ask for help?

 

Gary- Mom

 

Claire- Frequently, I asked my mom, but it maybe depended on the subject. My dad was the math expert.

Evan W.- Mom was and still is a good teacher. 

 

Massey- Who do you pick on more?

 

Gary- Mom

 

Claire- Well, I pick on my dad more, but I think I can get away with it being the only daughter.

Evan W.- Dad is too easy to pick on. 

Massey- Thanks for taking the time to do this- I enjoyed your answers!! 

1 comment:

  1. The Wynne's are an extraordinary family. I had Gary in class and always figured he'd be a senator someday...I still think so.
    All three participated in music and other extra-curricular activities with the same enthusiasm as any sport, and their grades were at the top of any scale. However even all of that was second to the way they treated other people. Those Wynn siblings are at the top of any chart.\
    Michelle also taught in the room nex

    ReplyDelete