Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Libby (Allison) Derry of the Galesburg HS’s Class of 1998.
Libby was active in sports and activities at GHS. She describes American Studies as being her favorite class with its media presentations. There would seem to be a connection between her love of American Studies and the direction that her career has taken. Libby has had a great career, first as a TV broadcaster and now in public relations work. Maybe the active role that American Studies provided provided a good foundation.
Libby’s career successes are an inspiring story. This is definitely an alumni profile that I hope present day GHS students would read! Maybe someone at GHS could make it required reading for an American Studies class!
I really appreciate Libby for taking the time out of her busy life to share her memories and life story. I won’t even mark her grade down for being a little late turning in the assignment.
Favorite teacher/Class: My favorite class was American Studies, which was taught by Steve Hawes and Lauri Aten at the time. As an avid reader (and a lover of historical fiction) being able to connect history and literature in a classroom setting was so fun. I think the way that class is set up to include student presentations that include fun media and costumes made the class really engaging. I am sure it has gotten even more fun with the addition of easily accessed technology that we didn’t have way back in the 1900s. That class also has a special family connection these days: my younger sister, Andie Leibach, now teaches the literature half alongside Shawn Hickey, who handles the history. It’s great to see her bringing that same experience to a new generation of students.
Sports/activities at GHS: I tried a little bit of everything! I was a cheerleader all four years, three for football and one for basketball. I also played basketball freshman year, ran track freshman and sophomore year, and played soccer junior and senior year. We were the very first team for the girls soccer program, and I think we won ONE game in my two seasons. I love seeing the strong program it has become! I was also a member of Student Council.
When it came to sports, I was definitely not a star athlete. For me, the draw was the friendships and the opportunity to be part of a team. For a little context on my athletic abilities, here’s one of my family’s favorite stories: During an indoor meet GHS hosted at Knox College, I was running the 800 meters when my laps were miscounted. I “finished” after three laps instead of four and was immediately disqualified. The best part? Even with an entire lap shaved off my race, I still didn’t come close to winning. Speed was not my specialty. But I absolutely cherished my time in high school sports. At least I gave my family a story they’re still telling?
Best memories of growing up in Galesburg/attending GHS: Both of my parents were educators in the district when I was growing up. My dad, Bill Allison, taught English and Film at GHS and coached football and tennis. My mom, Joyce Allison, was a special education teacher at Lombard Jr. High. My older brother, Reed, and my younger sister, Andie, were also heavily involved in sports, so between all of us, there was almost always a game to attend or a team to cheer on. I think that helped build a lot of pride in my own GHS experience.
My senior year was really special; I was a basketball cheerleader in 1998, and we were able to be on the sidelines as both the boys and girls teams made meaningful runs at the state tournament. It was an incredible year and I will never forget the energy, the crowds, and how it felt like the entire community was there to cheer them on.
Education after GHS: I graduated from Western Illinois University with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Communications. I am currently working toward my Masters in Nonprofit Leadership at Bradley University and will complete that in December of next year.
Career: After graduation, I began a career in broadcast journalism, working at television stations in the Quad Cities, Charlottesville, Virginia, and Peoria. Along the way, I wore several hats: weekend sports anchor and reporter, sports director, and eventually lead news anchor.
After my first son was born, I decided to try life on the other side of the news desk and make the move into public relations. I became a media relations coordinator for OSF HealthCare, an experience that prepared me well for my current role as executive director of communications and media relations at Bradley University.
My team now is part of the Office of Marketing and Communications and handles the university’s internal and external communications, crisis communications, media relations, social media, and special events. I also serve as Bradley’s spokesperson and our office’s liaison to the Office of the President. It certainly keeps me busy, but I love my work and I have a great team!
What are you up to today: Today I live in Germantown Hills, Illinois. I share my life with my husband Rob, our two boys Tucker and Charlie (or Tuck and Chuck, if you will), and our dog Opal. Our calendar is full of youth sports, band, and school activities, and it’s been so much fun watching the boys discover their love of basketball, baseball, and football through our local rec leagues.
I’m still running (still slowly), and just completed my 13th half marathon, this one in the mountains of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Life is good, and I’m grateful for the strong foundation that growing up in Galesburg and attending GHS gave me. It’s something I carry with me as Rob and I raise our own boys.
Advice for present students/athletes: Show up and participate. You don’t have to be the star player or have college scouts watching you to get something meaningful out of sports. Being part of a team teaches you so much. Those lessons will stay with you long after your last game. So will the friendships and memories. Also, do your homework.






No comments:
Post a Comment