Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 21, 2026

Streaks Alumni Profile- Drake Sykes 2013 (plus Sonny GHS 2045)

 























Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Drake Sykes from the Galesburg HS’s Class of 2013.

Drake was active as a student and athlete at Galesburg HS. He had an absolutely awesome career at Knox College as a student and as an athlete. He was selected to the Knox College Athletic HOF for his achievements. 

He is now the Knox College baseball coach. It will be exciting to see where he takes the Prairie Fire. 























Favorite Teachers/Classes

This would definitely be Mrs. Qualls/Mr. Hickey and their American Studies class.




































Activities/Sports at GHS

I played soccer, baseball, and football. I was also the C.A.R.E president.



































Best Momories from Growing Up in Galesburg


Some of the best memories came from getting to be around and with my friends. Starting at Silas Willard and then going to Lombard where I got to form a whole new friend group was awesome. All while keeping the friends that I grew up with at Silas. As well as being able to stay connected with them through sports as well. Sports kept me connected and allowed me to form life long friendships.





































After GHS


After GHS I attended Quincy University for my freshman year. I made the decision to transfer and spent the next 3 years at Knox College. At first I wasn’t really thinking about how Knox could be a good choice for me. I knew the baseball coach, some people who worked there, and my dad also worked at Knox at the time. Looking back on it, it is one of the best decisions I could have made. I received an amazing education where I was able to explore many different academic paths and be held to a high academic and athletic standard. Not to mention being able to play for a coach that I had played for the 5 previous summers.






































Today


I am now the head baseball coach at Knox College where I spent 3 years playing baseball in

college.


So far it has been amazing. Taking over for someone who I have known my whole life, got the pleasure of playing for and coaching with, and who was one of my biggest mentors throughout my career has been a dream come true. 


I knew at the end of my college career that I wanted to become a coach. Being able to say I am the head coach at the place that gave me so

much has been one of the best experiences I have had and it is only the beginning.































Advice for Today’s Students/Athletes


As for advice to current students, it is alright to not know what you want to be when you grow up. Enjoy your time and explore your options. You will know your path when you get there.


Focus on academics as it plays a big part in your recruiting process whether you believe it or not. Enjoy every moment you have and don’t grow up too fast.


























New Addition


Editor’s Note- Drake completed this profile several weeks ago but asked that I hold off posting it so it would include a picture of their baby when he was born. Drake and Ashley gave birth to their son, Sonny this past week! Congrats!!







No comments:

Post a Comment