Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Curt Wilcox from the Galesburg HS’s Class of 1979.
Curt has gone onto to have a wonderful teaching and coaching career in Texas. There is no doubt that he has impacted many, many students.
To be a successful football coach is not easy. Texas HS football is very serious stuff.
I appreciate that Curt took the time to share his GHS memories and his life after GHS!
![]() |
| Fall of ‘78- Reflectavue- Curt with Randy Barstow, Tony Anderson, And Lloyd Powell |
Favorite Teachers/Classes
The Morgan brothers, Dennis Selman, Rodney Bunch, Bob Johns and Gordon Hood. I had so many great teachers it's hard to leave people out!
I excelled in my Speech class, loved the Foods for Men class and of course my history classes with Mr. and Mrs. Moore. Oh, I can't forget the driver's ed simulators!!!
Activities/Sports
I played football from the JFL through my senior year and ran track as a sophomore. I sang in the choir and Singing Streaks but had the most fun as a leader of the Rowdy Section with Lloyd Powell, Brian Gable and Randy Barstow!
Best Memories of Galesburg/GHS
Playing sandlot baseball, backyard hoops, Kiddieland, and of course traveling to watch the great Streaks basketball teams play. I just remember the feeling of pride in my home town and school. I can still remember the smell of the new gym floor coating at the start of school and after Christmas break.
Education After GHS
After graduating from GHS, I moved to Texas and got my BA in Radio TV and Film at North Texas State University in Denton Texas. I minored in education.
Career
I worked as sportscaster at WBAP in Ft. Worth and did play by play for local high schools for 4 years then went into teaching and coaching for the next 40 years. I was fortunate enough to win three football state titles and was an assistant on two HS state championship basketball teams. I got to coach 4 future NFL players and one NBA all star. One of my biggest thrills was getting to come home and coach at GHS for a couple of years.
Describe Texas HS Football
High School football is almost a religion in Texas. The amount of media attention is unbelievable. Add in social media and people talk HS football all year around. When you have multiple million dollar stadium complexes all around the state, you see how important it is to local communities. So many students are involved besides the athletes themselves. Bands, drill teams, cheerleaders, student sections are all a big part of the Friday night experience. Cities take pride and support their teams regardless of their record. It reminds me of how Galesburg and other towns in Illinois worshiped the basketball teams back when I grew up in the 1960's.
Today
I retired back in May and have gone full circle returning to the broadcast booth to call HS football and basketball games on KGAF in Gainesville Tx. I also substitute teach a little and try to play a little golf but the best thing is spending time with my grandchildren!
What’s Worse- Texas Summers or Illinois Winters
DEFINITELY Texas summers! We're in a stretch of over 50 straight days with temperatures above 100 and almost no rain. In Illinois Winters, you can put on more layers to stay warm but you can only take off so much, legally, to stay cool in the brutal Texas heat!
Advice to Today’s Students/Athletes
Enjoy every moment of your HS years and get involved in as many activities as you can. Find ways to help those around you in need. Learn to take responsibility for your own actions and don't blame others for your mistakes. The most important things in life aren't your possessions and how much money you have but your Faith, Family and friends.







No comments:
Post a Comment