Total Pageviews

Monday, October 26, 2026

Streaks Alumni Profile- Tom Swegle 1965
























Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Tom Swegle from Galesburg HS’s Class of 1965. 

Tom had a very impressive career as a teacher. He is certainly the “jack of all trades.” During his career he taught the following- American History, World History, and French. He supported the students in activities from yearbook to cheerleading to drama to class sponsor. 

Mr. Swegle was recognized for his excellence and for his service when Sherrard HS named their auditorium in his honor. 

Rick Welty encouraged me to reach out to Tom, his brother-in-law. It was certainly a good recommendation. 

I really enjoy doing the Streaks Alumni Profiles. It is amazing how many GHS grads have gone onto do incredible things and to serve others. Tom Swegle is certainly one of GHS’s incredible stories, and an inspiring story!


Reflector Staff













Favorite Teachers/Classes at GHS

Virginia Hinchliff (Sophomore English) and Howad Reuter (Latin II, III and IV)


Sports/Activities at GHS
I was Julius Caesar (President) of the Latin Club my Junior Year, on the staff of the yearbook Reflector and a member of the F.T.A. 

My favorite activity was attending basketball games. In  March of my sophomore year (1963), I had the flu and missed the first round the the Sectional Tournament against Canton if I remember right. I was able to get a ticket in the next to the last row of the balcony for the championship game when the Streaks upset Quincy. After that, I attended every Silver Streak game home and away until the Steaks lost to Quincy in the semi-finals of the Sectional against Quincy, a disappointing loss.

Latin Club























Best Memories Growing Up in Galesburg

I was lucky that our home on Monroe Street was only 3 blocks away from Bateman Grade School and Churchill Junior High School. Taking shortcuts through neighbor's yards, we were able to walk to both schools as well as to GHS, at least until I got my license in May of '63. My early life might be compared to "Leave It to Beaver".


As Sports Fan- Games You Remember Most

1. the previously mentioned 1963 Sectional Championship game against Quincy 

2. In 1964, the sectional was played in Quincy and there was a chartered train that took Streaks fans to the game. After winning the championship, the Streaks players paraded the trophy through the train for everyone to see.

3. The disappointing loss to the Cobden Appleknockers in the state quarterfinals at Champaign in 1964

4. In 1964, the players' benches were located directly under the baskets. During a game, Streak starter slid into the bench and broke his arm, putting him out of several games 

5. When I was a student at WIU, I was able to witness the 1968 Sectional victory over Quincy. The Streaks were down by 5 with just over a minute left in regulation, but they came back and sent the game into overtime and finally won 61-60.

French Club























Five Places You Would Like to Visit if They Still Existed

1. (dear) old Galesburg High School on South Broad Street

2. Steele Gym 

3. The Public Library that burned down 

4. Bateman Grade School 

5. Our family church, Grace Episcopal Church which was located on the corner of South Prairie and Tompkins.

Future Teachers




























After Galesburg HS

I graduated from WIU in 1969 with a major in French and a minor in History; I received a Masters Degree in Educational Foundations from WIU in 1980.

I have been blessed in my career to have worn so many different hats while teaching at 3 different high schools:

1969-70 at Hardin Calhoun High School where I taught French I and II, American History and World History. I was also the Yearbook Sponsor, FTA sponsor and Junior Class sponsor. 

1970-2002 at Sherrard High School where I taught American History, French I,II, III, IV and V. At various times I was the FTA sponsor, Cheerleading sponsor, French Club sponsor and Drama Director. The auditorium at Sherrard HS bears my name. 

I taught at Alleman High School from 2002-2012




































Today

We moved from Sherrard to Springfield in 2012 because of the approaching birth of our first grandchild. I am currently the vicar of a small Anglican Church located in Chatham, a town just south of Springfield.































Advice to Today’s Students/Athletes

My advice has always been: Get involved. Find yourself a niche and stay there. In my educational experience, the happiest and most successful students are involved in activities


1 comment:

  1. Im proud of u Uncle Tom I Love you love Megan

    ReplyDelete