Total Pageviews

Monday, October 12, 2026

Streaks Alumni Profile- Josh Bland 1997























Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Josh Bland from the Galesburg HS Class of 1997. 

I had the opportunity to coach Josh when he was on the sophomore football team. Josh was great to coach- he was a positive teammate, hard working, and always respectful. 

Right now, Josh is back at Galesburg HS. He is an assistant for Andrea Sampson and the Silver Streaks softball team. It is great to see someone come back to GHS and work with today’s athletes. 

I am excited that Josh was willing to share some of his memories. 



















Favorite Teachers/Classes

Mr. Peachey, Mr. Allison

I was in summer Drivers Ed due to a late birthday. I had Coach Wagher, Coach Albright, and Coach Wallace. 
They were great storytellers driving through town. 


Activities/Sports at GHS

Football and baseball. Coach Fisher even got me to wrestle for a month, my freshman year. 

























Best Memories Growing Up in Galesburg & GHS

Best memories definitely include watching both the boys and girls' basketball teams collect hardware. They put in the work year round and it paid off. 


Education After GHS

I'm a grad of Carl Sandberg. 
I will complete a Bachelor's in May in Business Administration. I must admit, I've become a better student as I've aged. 




















Career & Today

I have been an employee with our P Lumber Company since 1999. 


My wife, Kristen, and I have 4 kids, McKaylee, 26, Macy, 25, Mavery, 15, and Major 9. We stay busy, one daughter on each coast. The younger ones keep us at a gym, a park, or a field most nights. 
























How Excited Are You to Be at GHS & Coaching

Growing up in Galesburg exposed me to a lot of successful coaches, building programs, focusing on fundamentals. 
Treating kids right all just rubbed off on me. 

Mike Sturgeon taught a lot of life lessons on and off the field. You see people from our decade who have gone on to big things- Ryan Weber, Ryan Helenthal, Jason and Zach Shay, and now Taylor Thiel is back to do the same. 

I know I'm missing other names, but that's my point. I had some great leaders to learn from, and I've always wanted to give back in the same way with the same passion that those coaches had or have. 



















How Has Josh Impacted Softball as a Coach

Andrea Sampson says this about Josh- Josh is an energetic, easy to get along with, and knowledgeable coach. He is a huge asset to Galesburg Silver Streak softball. His ability to connect with players on a personal level makes it easy for them to buy into our standards as a program. Josh is a high quality assistant who makes my job easier through his support and dedication. We are strong as a staff with Josh by our side. 


Josh’s Advice to Today’s Student/Athletes

You have your whole life to grow up and be an adult, do as much as you can now, join a club, try a new sport, put yourself out there, enjoy these times, because they are special. Live every day to the fullest with a smile. 

Go bears. 


Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that's why they call it the present. That's why it's called the present.



2 comments:

  1. Josh is the best!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh is a Great guy…He worked for me @ Pizza Hut & helped me move once!! Always willing to Help & has a smile on his face!!

    ReplyDelete