Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 23, 2012

56 Years of School


In September of 1957 when I went to Mrs. North’s kindergarten class at Avenue School, I had no idea what I was getting into. This year is my 56th straight year of going to school. I have not taken a year off- I went right from Knox College to Galesburg High School.

I have LOTS of great memories from 1957 to 2012. If you asked me my favorite years, I would give you one answer today, and another answer tomorrow- I have had a lot of favorites.

Schools are places you go to learn. It doesn’t matter if you are a student or you are a teacher- it continues to be a great place to learn. So in the past 55 years, what have I learned? I feel there are five very important lessons I have learned from my experiences and from observing successful and unsuccessful students.

Lesson #1- Use today to create options for tomorrow. All of us like to feel like we have some options, choices, and control over our lives. Successful people have the ability to make sacrifices today which will allow them to reach their dreams in the future. It can be the student who simply chooses to study vs. watching tv- that student is apt to be able to have great freedom in choosing what college they wish to attend. High school students have to realize that choices they make academically, socially, and athletically will either produce options or limit options in the future.

Lesson #2- Be a people person. The ability to work with others, the ability to get along with others, and the ability to learn from others are all keys to success. My favorite classes were usually because of the teacher not the subject. Relationships are important.

Lesson #3- The process is what is important. Too many students are focused on the outcome- the grade. They can be so focused on getting an A that they don’t learn. Successful adults are people who have developed a passion for the process- they become lifelong learners.

Lesson #4- Learn to express your ideas.  People who can effectively express and share their ideas will get ahead. People need to learn to effectively share their thoughts both in writing and speech.
 
Lesson #5- Mom. When you are not sure what to do, what would your mother tell you?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, and good advice ... here's to 55 more years in school for you.

    ReplyDelete