Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 13, 2024

Coaching 101- HS Coaches Can Learn From College Transfer Portal


Sometimes our biases cloud how we look at things. I don't know if that is the case with with me in what I am writing. I believe college players should be paid, just not with the present system. And I believe they should be able to transfer but not with the total, unlimited freedom of today. Usually when people talk about the transfer portal, the focus on how it is impacting competitive balance that we once were used to seeing.

I watched two football games this past Saturday, and they both got me thinking about the importance of culture and the importance of player development. I am not talking about what college coaches should do, I am thinking that there may be some valuable lessons for us as high school coaches. What I saw reminded me of two important lessons in coaching. 


Game 1- Wisconsin vs. Rutgers
For the second year in a row, Wisconsin opted to dip into the transfer portal to bring in a fifth year QB. As 5th year players, they had more experience, had better arm strength, and some agility to run. Yet the offense struggled. After an injury this year, it resulted in turning to Braedyn Locke, a red-shirt sophomore (he transferred last year to UW and is in his second year). 

In a short sample size, the Wisconsin offense is much improved with the new QB. 
From what experts say, he doesn't have the same arm strength or the same agility of the other quarterbacks- but the offense has flourished to date. Just like in the NFL, he has spent a year on the sideline, learning the system. 

Lesson 1- Don't sell short the importance of player development. It takes more than having great athletes. Player development to improve their skill set and to fit in your program is key to success. In HS, we need to focus on development of our players throughout the entire season. 



Game 2- Oregon vs Ohio State
Oregon wide receiver, Traeshon Holden was ejected for spitting on the Ohio State defensive back. Holden transferred from Alabama last year. I realize that there are players who are in their fourth year at a school who do stupid things. I am not an insider so I don't know what kind of person Holden is, and I don't know how transferring impacted him. Maybe he is a great guy who just in the heat of competition did something stupid. The incident made me think. Do players when they jump from one school to another school become less likely to learn and to respect the culture of the program? 

Lesson 2- Team values and team culture are learned. And often they are learned thru shared experiences. As HS coaches, we must daily teach our culture.

1 comment:

  1. Keep sharing, my friend. Enjoy hearing your perspective and learning new things. You ask good questions, without arrogance or bias.

    ReplyDelete