Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Dave Hasley- Starting 49th Year as an Official


There is a shortage of officials to do high school sports. It has already caused schools to cancel games, or to reschedule games. 

Dave Hasley will be starting his 49th year officiating. He not only does boys and girls basketball, he also does baseball and football. He has given so much to all of these sports and to all of the young people who play these sports. 

We owe so much to all of the officials who are willing to work the games, but we especially owe people like Dave a lot. I have never once heard him complain about his pay, I have never once seen a game where he was "hurrying" to get it over, and I have never once gotten a sense where any game was beneath him to work. With Dave, it has never been about him, it is about the players and the game. He has spent the last 48 years serving others. 

Dave Hasley and I have a connection. We both got started in basketball at the same time. I can vividly remember my first year, having Dave as a "runner" doing our sophomore game at Kewanee. I was a young coach trying to figure things out, and he was a young ref trying to figure things out. That common experience has made me feel a connection thru the years with Dave, and certainly an appreciation for his commitment. 

"I went to Rotary for a free dinner."


Massey
- How did you get started in officiating? What was your motivation for officiating?

Hasley- When I first got started in officiating in 1974, I was a senior in high school. I went to a Rotaray Meeting for a free dinner. John Davis, long time Galesburg insurance agent and referee, gave a talk on officiating. It peaked my interest.

I was a sports nut, but was not a very good athlete. I was a manager for Coach Larry Little my junior and senior years, and learned more about basketball than if I had played. I wanted to stay involved in sports but I didn’t at that time know I would be as involved as long as I have been.

"It was a dream come true."

Massey- I was there when you got started. You started in officiating basketball as a “runner” for two veteran officials. Who were the veterans who you worked with? How did the "runner" system work? 


Hasley
- I got to be a runner for two varsity officials. The runner would work the complete sophomore game and the two varsity officials would work a half, and then the varsity game. The officials would watch you work, then make suggestions on how to officiate games the proper way. We seemed to learn more in that role as the “runner,” working with one veteran official and then watching the varsity game. If you asked questions, you learned a lot. This made me the official I am today so I am very thankful to all who helped me.

My first game was at Nauvoo HS with Herb Brown from Abingdon and Van Wilson from Macomb area. I had worked HS scrimmages. My first half went well, but then the second half was another story. My confidence suddenly disappeared but I got through it, and worked 4 or 5 more years being a "runner." My first goal was to have a full varsity schedule which I achieved.

In the game I met you, you and Barry Swanson were the sophomore coaches.  I was working with Herb Brown and Don Brady from Macomb, at the time we had a game of Galesburg at Kewanee. Galesburg Silver Streaks vs Kewanee Boilermakers, as a long time sports fan, it was a dream come true. Kewanee had a 7 foot player, Tom Prusator, and the place was full.

The people who helped me the most were Herb Brown, my mentor, and Dick Brown from Avon. Later in my career, I teamed up with Dave Pickrel from Galesburg and we worked together for about 30 years. Athletic directors who helped me get started were George Lundeen from Galesburg, Ron Powell from Alexis, Dave Whiteman from Knoxville, and many more.

"Who was left to let your frustrations out on..."

Massey- I am guessing your biggest frustration in officiating would be the adults- fans and coaches who are “out of control.” You have done this a long time. What is your perception about fans/coaches over time? Are they getting worse each year?


Hasley
- I think that the fans and parents have always been a challenge. As players have gotten bigger, faster, and stronger- parents think that their chid may be a better player than what they (as parents) were, and that their son/daughter is better than they actually are. So parents don’t yell at their son or daughter. And early on, coaches were on a pedestal so there was no yelling at them. So who was left to let your frustrations out on but the officials. Parents want the best for their kids, so they yell.  Officials make mistakes! We try to be as close to perfect as we can. 

Massey- Were there a different set of expectations for you as an official with girls vs boys basketball?

Hasley- Initially parents didn’t want the game to be to rough for their daughters. While coaches seemed to want it go called the same as boys games, especially today.

"The coach just won’t stop complaining."

Massey- What can be done to make fans, coaches, and players be more under control?

Hasley- Administrators need to set rules. Fans cannot be allowed to cuss at officials. As officials we don’t know about what is going on in a player’s or coach’s lives, but officials are human too.

Technical fouls seem to often happen after an official makes a mistake, and the coach just won’t stop complaining.

One thing that might be helpful is for officials to hold clinics for players and coaches to help with rules changes. And explain how some calls like block/charge are made, common half-court violations, and now the rules of the shot clock.  The more players and coaches know, maybe the more they will watch and enjoy the game.

"One of only 8 officials to have done that."

Massey- Your career as an official is so impressive. Can you share all of your state series experiences?


Hasley
- I have had and continue to have a very successful career in officiating. I have met many wonderful people whether they are coaches, players, or officials. 
Most people don’t realize that officials are as competitive as coaches and players, at least I am.

I have been blessed to have worked the state finals in my 4 sports. I am one of only 8 officials to have done that. I worked for 30 years before I received my first state finals assignment in 2006 in boys basketball. I was blessed to receive that assignment, and went on to work again in 2007. In 2009, I received my first assignment in girls basketball, and then again in 2011 and 2013. My mother had passed in 2010, and when I worked in 2011 at Redbird Arena I had the feeling that she was sitting at the top watching my game. I worked the baseball finals on 2012, 2015, and 2017. And then to cap it off, I got to work the state final football game in 2A on 2022.

"It is so satisfying to get a compliment."

Massey- What keeps you going?


Hasley
- The one thing I find most rewarding is the gratification of a job well done. The more I work, the more I cherish the bond you share with players and coaches. It is so satisfying to get a compliment from players or parents at the grocery store or Walmart. And now, I have fun officiating with and helping young officials get better.

Massey- Obviously it is tough to get young people to go into officiating. Do you have any ideas about how we could “recruit” young people into officiating?

Hasley- Young officials are stretched very far in the face that there are more games to officiate now than before. As I have stated, girls basketball was just starting when I started. Now games are played 6 days a week and some young officials are pushed into situations that they are not ready for. The IHSA has training clinics and some mentor programs.

One thing which the IHSA did was with provisional officials- 15-16 year olds can only work freshman and JH games with a veteran official. I have not seen any numbers on how this program is working. Once you get an official on the floor, many times they like or it gets in their blood.

One thing I have thought of is to have an officiating class in high schools taught by veteran officials to get them some exposure and maybe work intramurals.

Massey- What are the most significant rules changes in the time you have officiated? How did they change the game?


Hasley
- In my career there have been many but several  impactful rule changes.
1- Three point goals- It opened up the court. It made it easier for teams to come back from larger deficits- plus makes the game far more exciting.
2- Atlernating possession of jump balls- It speeds up the game and gives the game more of a feel like there is a flow to the game.
3- Three person officiating crews- It kept the older officials in the game and helped me get to the State Finals. There is better floor coverage to get the game to move freer.
4- Changing FT Rule by Reset Bonus Each Quarter and Eliminate 1+1’s- It made the game quicker and then when we went to the line it was always 2 shots.
5- Shot Clock- It is a good rule, it will take time to get used to but will be a good change.

Massey- If they put you on the rules committee, would you have any changes you would like to see to the basketball rules?

Hasley- I would like see the semi-circle added for the block/charge call. I think it would stop the charge too far under the basket that no one likes to see.

"You are always learning."

Massey- You keep going, but are there things that make it a little tougher to keep going?

Hasley- I still enjoy officiating but the long travels by myself make it very trying sometimes. And I also have two grandchildren- one with be a freshman at A-town and the other who is a 6th grader. They both love basketball so that will create conflicts with time.

Massey- What are some of your favorite things you are doing with officiating?

Hasley- I have worked at taking care of officials at the A-Town Shootouts. I watch and learn from the officials at the Shootouts. You are always learning and I try to help any younger officials work to do games better.

I hope my legacy is not how many Finals I worked, but how many officials consider me a mentor or that I helped out their careers when times were tough and helped them reach their goals.

As I look into starting my 49th year of officiating I have considered our friendship as one of my favorite memories. I tell people that we grew up together in this sport. Thank you- enjoy your retirement- see you at Thiel Gym.

Massey- Thanks for taking the time to do this Dave. And more importantly, thanks for taking the dedicating the time that has allowed HS sports to flourish for the last 48 years!! It sure would be great if some young man or woman would read this and go into officiating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment