Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 11, 2024

Caitlin Clark- If I Had A Daughter…


I had an absolutely great day yesterday, going over to watch the Indiana Fever and Caitlin Clark. Dave Wood and I got the chance to go because of the generosity of a Knox basketball alum who hooked us up with the tickets. We had great seats just 13 rows from the court. I have been to many sporting events- Packers game at Lambeau, Red Sox at Fenway, Badgers at Kohl and Camp Randall, Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse- this was as impressive and as electric as any sporting I have ever attended.

Gainbridge FH is a great place to go to a game. You have easy access to parking downtown, it is right off the interstate. Downtown Indianapolis is a beautiful city and very comfortable to walk around. If you are going to ever get over for a game, I would suggest that you calculate the time change, and leave 4:45 before the tip-off. After you park, it should get you into the FH about a hour before tip-off. Plenty of time to check out your seat, got to the Team Store and get 2-3 souvenirs (it is great when your wife is not along). And the concessions are fabulous- and cashless. 



For Fever games, there will always be 18,000 fans. Yesterday was a noon (EST) tip-off. It was some kind of “camp day” for young girls. It was so exciting and so inspiring to see 1000’s of you girls ranging from 3 years old to 18 years old wearing Indiana Fever and/or Caitlin Clark shirts. For the youngest of them, you could see the excitement in their body language. 

There were many really cool moments during the game- every one of Clark’s 5 threes, and everyone one of Clark’s 13 assists- all brought a gasp and a the roar of 1000’s of high pitched female girls. For me, I found the most emotional scene was actually during the starting lineups. Clark was introduced last and it was clear there was a build up and an anticipation of her name being called- and then that high pitched roar. I remember going to a Bulls game when Jordan was a rookie, he did not get the response or the excitement that Clark brings. This year Caitlin Clark is not Michael Jordan- Caitlin Clark is the Beatles, and she is right here in the Midwest. 

I can only imagine the impact that moment and the whole scene must have on a 7 year old girl, or sophomore in HS getting ready to play next winter. If as a 70+ old man, I find it emotional, what does watching 18k fans idolizing a female rock star player do for these young fans? As they watch- what does it make them realize is possible? What does it do to their dreams?


If I had a daughter, I would get on stubhub, and get tickets to a home Fever game. Did you ever think your daughter would or could see 18,000 fans worshipping a women’s basketball team or a women’s basketball player? It doesn’t matter if your daughter likes basketball- get tickets and get over there. Will the tickets be expensive? Yes, but so are groceries! I guarantee your daughter will come home, go out in the driveway, shoot baskets, and play pretend games where she is Caitlin Clark. So if I had a daughter- we would be headed to Indianapolis to see the Fever. I hope you will look at the schedule and get over there. 

And even if you don’t have a daughter- two old men had a lot of fun. Last night after I got home, Amy was on the phone with our son. I heard her say,”He had a great day, he got to do two of his favorite things- watch a basketball game, and spend time talking with Woody. You probably won’t have Woody with you so you won’t have as much fun as I did- but it will still be worth it. 

On our way out, we ran into a member of one of our favorite Galesburg families- Jim Watson was headed out the same exit. The day kept getting better. 

A huge thanks to our fellow Knox basketball alum- we had a great day. Who knows? Maybe Woody and I will go out in the driveway today and pretend we are Caitlin Clark- I will pass to Woody, and of course Woody will shoot and shoot and shoot. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Evan, of a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing. Go Fever!

    ReplyDelete