Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Mindi (Pampel) Ritchie from the GHS Class of 1995.
Mindi is another GHS and Knox College grad who has chosen to live and work in Galesburg. She has been a leader in School District #205. Today she is the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources and Student Support. Her energy and enthusiasm are contagious.
Favorite Memories Growing Up in Galesburg
My favorite childhood memories involve playing in our E. Grove Street neighborhood and Cedar Fork (our "creek") from dawn to dusk.
My favorite school-related memories come from Lincoln Elementary School. I loved the Ice Cream Socials, Mrs. Huels letting me bring my Cabbage Patch Doll to school, and Mrs. Simpson leading the “Bickerdyke Babes” to the championship in the Galesburg area History Bowl in 5th grade.
A lot of my best memories of high school are just the everyday stuff: walking around the mall, ending the night at Happy Joe’s, and “cruising” from E. Main to the Henderson St. McDonald’s. I also worked part-time all through high school as a housekeeper at Cottage Hospital.
Sports/Activities at GHS
In high school I played softball freshman and sophomore year and did Spanish Club.
Favorite Teachers/Classes
As far as later schooling, I started Spanish in 8th grade and stuck with it all through high school.
My favorite teacher was Glen Scott- he’s the one who got me comfortable using power tools for the first time.
Education after GHS
I’m still the eternal student, honestly. After GHS I went to Knox College for a BA in Spanish and Psychology, then to the University of Dayton in Ohio for a master's degree in Clinical Psychology.
Career
I came back to Galesburg and worked at Bridgeway as a licensed therapist, eventually leading Child and Adolescent Services there. Then I went back to school again — Bradley University for a Professional Educator License in School Counseling and Administration, and the University of Illinois at Springfield for a School Superintendent Endorsement. Right now I’m working on my doctorate at Aurora University.
Whether I was a therapist, an Assistant Principal, or now Assistant Superintendent of CUSD #205, it’s always come down to the same thing for me: helping people see their potential and figure out how to get where they want to go professionally and personally.
Today
We are about to be empty nesters! My daughter Ava just finished her freshman year at Illinois College studying nursing, and my son Alex is headed there next to play baseball and study Finance or Investing.
Advice to Students/Athletes
My advice for current students and athletes is to take advantage of everything Galesburg has to offer. I’m proud of this community. Great colleges, good parks, fantastic schools, and people who show up for each other. Whether you leave it and always remember it fondly, or spread roots and raise a family, Galesburg is truly special.






No comments:
Post a Comment