Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Streaks Alumni Profile- Rita Tiehen Salit 1984
























Today’s “Streaks Alumni Profile” features Rita Tiehen Salit from the Galesburg HS Class of 1984.

Rita was one of the famous Tiehen family. If you grew up in the ‘70’s or ‘80’s, you probably knew one other Tiehens.

Rita was involved as a cheerleader, played both volleyball and basketball, and was in the National Honor Society.

Her interest in high school chemistry turned into career in chemistry and now as a teacher on the high school level.

My wife, Amy and I had the opportunity to meet up with Rita, Ann, and Laura Tiehen at the Galesburg vs. Loyola basketball game last winter in Chicago. It was so much fun to have lunch before the game and catch up on their lives and share lots of great memories.

I hope you enjoy this profile as much as I have. It was tough for Rita to find the time to do this between her teaching during the school year and her golfing in the summer- so thanks Rita!!!




















Favorite Teachers/Classes

I would have to say my chemistry class with Mr. Spencer was my favorite. Doing laboratory experiments in class was always fun! And I ended up majoring in chemistry in college - so must have had some lasting influence on me.  Mr Diemer’s rhetoric class was one of the most helpful classes for college and professional life.  He taught us how to communicate by getting to the point with clarity and eliminating all the “fluff”.

I have always regretted not taking American Studies.  Both my sisters took that class and I now realize that class was a gem.  

I have to give a shout out to my coaches at GHS.  Afterall, as an athlete, I spent more time with them than my academic teachers.  The lessons learned in practices, on the court, and in competition helped form who I am today. Great coaches are not just about the number of wins, and after raising two daughters who played sports too, I realize how great I had it.
























Sports/Activities at GHS

Participating in cheerleading, volleyball and basketball during my years at GHS made my high school years so much fun, mostly because I got to spend them with a great group of girls. We spent a lot of time together with daily practices, games, and tournaments. We bonded over the hard stuff, like the the dreaded “post-practice ‘on the line’ suicide drills, and the highlights, like games won and making it to the regional playoffs.  The life lessons we experienced together built friendships that I cherish to this day. 






















Best memories of growing up in G-burg/attending GHS


Summer time, as a kid growing up in Galesburg, holds such great memories for me. We lived on Cherry Street and could walk or ride our bikes anywhere we needed to go.  I remember playing outside a lot.  We’d be out all day, come in for dinner, then right back outside until dark.  


I had six siblings, and many of the families in our area had large families too and so we could usually get a game of baseball going on any afternoon.  Of course that was only when we weren’t spending long days at Lake Lawn swimming.  My mom would drop us off in the morning and we would stay all day.  I’m sure it was a respite for her, having 7 kids to raise. 






















I remember warm summer nights catching fireflies that, at the time, lit up the entire backyard! I remember the nights, before my parents splurged on central air conditioning, we would sleep with the windows open hoping for a breeze and listening to the train horns in the distance. That is such a nostalgic, soothing sound for me to this day. 

Having 4 older brothers, I learned a lot of ‘boy stuff’, like collecting bugs, picking up snakes the proper way, and building and racing go-carts.  I also remember setting up lemonade stands; and anytime we had change in our pockets, trips to our local candy store, Park Drive Dairy, or occasionally to Northside Drug which was a bit further away. 

I started GHS my sophomore year. I think my class was one of the last years to start as  sophomores, afterwards it became a 4 year high school. I have fond memories of attending GHS. There was always a buzz in the school about whatever event was coming up like homecoming, spirit week, or a school dance.  GHS had a lot of school spirit and playing sports as a Silver Streak was a highlight of my high school career.

















Education after GHS

B.S. Chemistry- Illinois State University

M.S. Chemistry -  Illinois Institute of Technology (now Illinois Tech)

M.A. Teaching - National Louis University


















Career

My first job out of college, I started out as an analytical chemist for Baxter Healthcare Corporation.  I didn’t stay in the lab long and eventually migrated to process development and then spent most of my pharmaceutical career in a regulatory affairs role.  I supported drug development teams advising on the regulations for getting drugs approved by agencies around the world. I finished the last 9 years of my pharmaceutical career at Abbott Laboratories working on anesthesia and then early oncology drug development projects.  Even though I had negotiated a part time role with Abbott, it was hard to maintain part-time. 


As I inched back to full-time, I wasn’t getting enough time with our two daughters.  With the support of my husband, I stopped working for a while.  I became active in the girl’s school and eventually began substitute teaching, and coaching middle school volleyball and basketball.  When our girls were in high school, I worked as a middle school science teacher, while obtaining a degree and license to teach. After a few years, I moved on to teaching high school chemistry. 






































What you are up to today


My husband and I met at Baxter Healthcare, my first job out of college, and raised two girls in the suburbs of Chicago.  Our oldest, Lauren, is a physician assistant in Milwaukee, WI and Leah is in law school at the University of Virginia.  Leah will be working in Chicago when she graduates, so we are thrilled they will both be nearby.  


My husband, Marc, is now retired, and I am still teaching high school chemistry.  I also help moderate our school’s garden club. We grow about 300 lbs of fresh produce each year to supply two local food pantries that serve the food insecure around our school community.  


For fun, after the girls were out of the house, I started playing a lot more golf.  Besides playing with my husband, I joined a few women’s leagues, and fit in as much as possible now.





































Advice for present students/athletes


Keep an open mind and don’t take your teammates for granted. Realize everyone has different strengths and those differences are what makes a team stronger. Work hard, play hard, and have fun enjoying time with your friends and teammates.  Your time in high school goes by in the blink of an eye. 


No comments:

Post a Comment