Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Streaks Alumni Profile- Ken Johnson 1969






































Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Ken Johnson from the Galesburg HS’s Class of 1969. 

Ken took advantage of experiences as a Galesburg High student and then as a Knox College student to get a jump start on a career in journalism. Not only did he use school experiences, but he started working part-time at the Register-Mail when he was a student. 

His career has taken him all of over the United States, and it has given him the opportunity to interview famous people in the world of politics, sports, and entertainment. 

When I drive around Galesburg, I see the yard signs from Knox College that say, “Stay Near to Go Far.” In the future when I see one of those signs, I know I will think of Ken Johnson. 







































No matter the heights of his career, he never forgot about his hometown. He took advantage of his position to help give back to Galesburg- giving the National Railroad Museum a boost and bringing celebrities to Galesburg. 

Ken’s story is one that is inspiring to say the least. 






























“That ‘not-afraid-to-ask-the-tough questions’ style served me well later in life as a TV journalist.”

Favorite Teachers/Classes 
Far and away, my favorite class was Government taught by Carl Flaks. I was the only junior in an all senior class. That was unheard at the time. Looking back, this class -- along with my role on the school newspaper, The Budget -- helped to shape my 45-year professional career. Mr. Flaks was a brilliant, open-minded young educator who challenged me, to challenge him in class -- and it happened nearly every single day. 

As an aspiring journalist, I read magazines and newspapers from cover to cover, so I had a good command of world events for a kid. That led to some pretty amazing and emotional back-and-forth debates between us with many seniors in class laughing out loud and others shaking their heads and muttering: who is this punk? 

That "not-afraid-to-ask-the-tough questions" style served me well later in life as a TV journalist, having the rare  opportunity to interview many remarkable people as diverse as Presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagabn, along with baseball Hall of Famer Johnny Bench, basketball great Shaquille O'Neal, comedian Bob Hope. actor James Garner and a list goes on and on. 




















Some say I "drove" an exasperated Carl Flaks out of Galesburg. Not true. Like me, he pursued his own dream, leaving GHS the next year for Schaumburg High School and then retiring some 30 years later as Social Studies Department Chair. In many ways, he helped to shape my life.

Another teacher instrumental in the development of my career was Joe Patterson, who taught journalism and supervised the school newspaper. He made me Co-Sports Editor, along with my lifelong friend Mike White. Midway through my junior year, he also approved a unique partnership with the Galesburg Register-Mail, allowing me to work in the R-M's Sports Department (under the late Joe Morrisey) from 7-to-11 in the mornings and then head to my GHS classes. I jokingly called it a "work-release" program. But what an amazing learning experience that was. 























“…only to do the unthinkable: I declined it. Instead, I decided to remain in Galesburg and attended Knox College.”


Later, after graduating in 1969, the publisher of the Register-Mail helped me to get a scholarship to the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University -- only to do the unthinkable: I declined it. Instead, I decided to remain in Galesburg and attended Knox College, reasoning that a degree from Knox, plus 6 years of professional experience would give me a "leg up" over other J-School graduates looking for a job. It did. 

A week after graduating from Knox, I was hired as a reporter for WHBF-TV in Rock Island. Several years later, I moved on, highlighted by covering the 1975 World Series between the Cincinnati Reds & Boston Red Sox for the CBS-TV affiliate in Cincy. The Reds won a 7-game series, considered a classic in baseball history, and featuring Hall of Famers Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Carl Yastrzemski and Carlton Fisk, as well as MVP winners Pete Rose and Fred Lynn. What an amazing time in my life -- and it never would have happened without my GHS and Knox educations.


























“So, in a way, I was ‘double dipping’ long before I even knew what in the hell that meant.”

Sports/Activities at GHS
Next to working on The Budget newspaper, my favorite activities were Choir, acting in school plays and covering all sports. As a junior, Baseball Coach Bob Beal asked me to be a manager for the team, but primarily my job was to be his "statistician."  It involved a lot more than just logging hits, runs and errors. Coach Beal wanted to track how someone like star third baseman Louie Nichols did against right handed pitchers vs. lefties. Wow. That was easy. Louie crushed them all. But the arrangement really worked out well for me, because I also covered the games for the Register-Mail. So, in a way, I was "double dipping" long before I even knew what in the hell that meant.

But I'm probably best remembered by classmates for my tenure on the GHS Student Council. I launched a personal crusade in 1968, trying to force the Illinois State Legislature -- through public pressure -- to mandate seat belts in school buses. I obtained more than 500 signatures from students on a petition which I delivered to the office of Governor Samuel Shapiro. That was my first experience with "pat-you-on-the- back and then-kick-you-in-the ass" politicians (he says with a smile on his face). Anyway, I got a nice letter back, thanking me for my efforts and promising to look into the issue. Fittingly, Governor Shapiro lost his election later that year!























“I remember asking myself: what are the odds? I can't hit curves; no one from Galesburg has ever played in the Major Leagues.”


Best Memories Growing Up in Galesburg/GHS
This one is easy. I loved to cover GHS basketball for the Register-Mail. Several games come to mind: Galesburg's 44-40 upset win over Proviso East, handing the eventual Illinois State Champions, led by future NBA Champion Jim Brewer, their only loss of the year. Earlier in the season, I journeyed to Chicago Heights to cover the Streaks as they knocked off 9th-ranked Bloom Township 85-76. But my favorite was the 77-64 whipping we gave rival Quincy in a Sweet 16 game in Macomb. 

My best memories of growing up in Galesburg are all intertwined with the friends that I made attending Douglas Elementary School, Nellie Swanson, Lombard and GHS. Playing Little League, going to the Orpheum Theatre, partying at Lake Bracken, shooting pool at the bowling alley, watching a "triple hitter" at the Drive-In or just cruising up and down Main Street and Henderson, there was something magical in doing it with friends. Recently, we just had our 57th High School Reunion -- and the camaraderie is still amazing.




























Funny story. People often ask me why I started out as a journalist at such a young age. Well, I had my first paper route when I was 7, delivering the Chicago Tribune and Sun Times newspapers. I would read the top stories while folding my papers. It instilled in me a curiosity, as well as a knowledge of world events. I also loved baseball, closely following Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris of the New York Yankees in 1961 as they chased Babe Ruth's magical home run record. So I put two and two together and decided that I wanted to be a professional baseball player. Makes sense, right? 

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the Big Leagues: I couldn't hit a curve ball! So at 16, I remember asking myself: what are the odds? I can't hit curves; no one from Galesburg has ever played in the Major Leagues; and I'm not even as good as the kid down the street. Soooo...I decided to become a Sports Reporter. Moral of the story: Don't make rash decisions. The kid down the street was my good friend and classmate Jim Sundberg, who, by the way, has a baseball field at GHS named after him. Sunny played in the Major Leagues from 1974-1989, winning 6 Gold Glove, a World Series Championship in 1985, and being named an All-Star 3 times. He's also in the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame.































Education after GHS
BA Degree from Knox College, 1973. MS Degree from the College of St. Francis, 1993.

























“While working in Congress, I helped spearhead investigations into corporate corruption.”

Career
Newspaper reporter & editor, 1968-1973; News reporter & anchor for CBS-TV stations in Rock Island, Cincinnati and New Orleans, 1973-1993; Communications Director for two committees in Congress (Energy & Commerce and Homeland Security) 1993-2005; Vice President/Communications, Solar Energy Industries Association and Senior Vice President/Communications & Public Affairs, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), 2005-2016. Owner, Strategic PR. LLC, 2016-present. 

While working in Congress, I helped spearhead investigations into corporate corruption, including Enron, WorldCom, HealthSouth, Martha Stewart insider stock trading and the Ford-Firestone scandal, which resulted in nearly 200 traffic deaths nationwide. In 2003, I was proud to guide legislation through Congress that designated Galesburg as home of the National Railroad Hall of Fame. On April 7, 2008, I was given the Key to the City of Galesburg by Mayor Gary Smith for my efforts to help my home town. 

For more information on Ken Johnson’s role in the Martha Stewart case…






























“Over the past 10 years, we have won more than 50 World Championships.”

 
What Are You Up To Today
After retiring from the Washington political scene in 2016, I moved back home to the Galesburg area to be closer to family and old friends. I currently live at Oak Run and have a farm just outside of town, spending most of my time showing Appaloosa horses. Over the past 10 years, we have won more than 50 World Championships. That's another thing that I have to thank Galesburg for. I bought my first horse here when I was 18 (trying to impress a girl...lol) and I've owned horses ever since then. Quarter horses, Thoroughbred race horses, Paints, Arabians and now Appaloosas. I've never had children so my horses are my kids (about 300 of them at last count!)


























“My best advice is don't be afraid to take chances.”

Advice to Present Students/Athletes
My best advice is don't be afraid to take chances. I've lived my life by the old saying: some people had a chance; some people took a chance. It's ok to swing and miss. But never be afraid to pick up the bat again. 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Always remember, there can be long-term success in short-term failure. And most importantly, don't be afraid to ask for help. Often, that's a difficult thing to do because of a fear of rejection or judgement. 

During my time in Washington, I had the unique opportunity to meet nine U.S. Presidents. I have so many terrific memories. But something President Obama said hit home and struck me as eternally powerful: "Asking for help isn't a sign of weakness; it's a sign of strength."  Amen. I owe so much to so many people who cared enough to help me. Thank you to all of them.



































   Stay Connected to Massey Basketball Blog 

Follow us on Facebook- Massey Basketball and Twitter- @MasseyBball 

                      Get instant updates on new blog posts. 




No comments:

Post a Comment