Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Jane Albright of the GHS Class of 1987.
Jane Albright was active at GHS as a student and as an athlete. Her popularity with her peers showed when she was selected the Homecoming Queen and was selected as the President of the G-Club.
Jane set the school record in the high jump. That record still stands almost 40 years later.
Activities/sports
Volleyball, Basketball, Track & Field (High Jump)
Favorite teachers/classes
Mr. Devore, Mrs. Stewart, Mr. Diemer, Senorita Pennington, Senora Klein, Mrs Murdock, Mrs Wilson, Mr Landon, Mr. Hicky, too many!
Best memories growing up in Galesburg and going to GHS
Growing up in Galesburg in the 1970s and 80s came complete with best friends. There was always someone willing to play. We didn't have Target where our parents could buy us a baseball kit. We had to use whatever was there was bases: an old stump, a big rock, the corner of the garage, or a pile of sticks.
We were really good at communicating, collaborating, and compromising, which made it work. My best friends in life are from Galesburg. Some have already passed away and I grieved them as sisters and brothers. For those living, decades later (thanks to Facebook) we are still very close.
I believe I first attended a GHS wrestling match when I was a few months old. Growing up around GHS,... I loved it. I am home. I couldn't wait to finally be at the high school. I watched generations of athletes, band members, artists, move through those halls. Several individuals became role models.
God bless Rodney Blue for his graceful speed on the track and his infectious positive attitude. He is definitely missed. Ann Holt for her tough play under the basket. I am grateful for the few days over Christmas break that we were able to scrimmage and learn so much from her. Kevin Stone, who despite being mostly blind, assisted the football team and competed in track. We all loved "Stoney" as he was the best of everything. He was kind to everyone and fun to be around. He knew our voices--each one of us that he knew. With his challenges I never once saw him frustrated or upset about anything. I don't know how he did it all. When he was voted Homecoming King, I never cried so many happy tears! It was the coolest thing ever and should be made into a movie!
GHS always has an electric atmosphere for me. Some of my favorite moments are as simple as attending a football game. The field lights pierce past the reds and orange sunset while the heartbeat for school extrudes from the side doors of the school as the marching band takes form to the clicks of drumsticks and drums on their way to the field. The official call to battle as begun mixed with aromas of popcorn and hot chocolate. Cheerleaders laugh while fluffing up pom poms of silver and gold. Then, slowly, the best people in my life appear one by one or in small groups as I walk around.
I love GHS because of the people--the family that we all became. Even though we just saw each in math class a few hours ago, we are so happy to see each other again. We hug or high-five, laugh, chat, and then cheer for the Silver Streaks. When I recall such times, I know that I am extremely blessed; we are all.
I am especially grateful to everyone who supports student journeys, all teachers, coaches, and administrators. As kids, we are far from perfect and often unappreciative. The staff at GHS was very good at helping us shape ourselves. I would not be the same person without GHS athletics. The lessons learned on the court, track, locker room, and bus are priceless in terms of maintaining a positive mindset even through challenges.
What did you do for your education after GHS?
After high school, I attended Western Illinois University to become a teacher and a coach. BA in English Education with a minor in Coaching. MA in Fine Arts-Creative Writing.
After graduation I was hired to teach English at a high school. My original agreement was for having two class preps and be the assistant volleyball and track coach. I was super excited. When I arrived, there was a new principal. I was informed that I now have four preps across three grade levels, including an advanced juniors class and kids who were considered "behavior disorder" kids. I honestly didn't know what to do. I wasn't trained for this. I dug deep as I thought I could juggle it all. I took on too much and became very burnt out with little support. I swear my skin turned green. I was depleted and it felt like I was being hazed for an entire year. Later, I learned that the other teachers were laughing about how they made sure I had all of the "bad" kids along with many behavioral disorder kids. Meanwhile, I coached Freshman volleyball, was assistant track coach and somehow said yes to helping with scholastic bowl. Once the year was done, I made it clear that I was not coming back.
There were many lessons for me, though. #1 Don't mention Buddhism philosophy at all in any small town E-VER. Even when their kids are wearing yin yang rings and t-shirts! #2 I am not a babysitter. I don't want to say things like "Seth, please stop turning the pages to Melissa's book with your tongue!"(...and these were the good kids!) I discovered that I want to teach people who WANT to learn and appreciate what I have to offer. #3 I have permission to leave a bad situation OR make them stick to the original negotiation which was two class preps and help with coaching sports. #4 "Bad" kids are generally awesome—they were some of my favorite most relatable students and I actually miss them. #5 Behavioral disorder students-just need more than one avenue to learn, they love learning through games, and need love and encouragement and I have tons for them and still miss them. #6 Teacher's salaries should be doubled at least! #7 I wish I had gone to business school or studied marketing, something more creative and fun or team-based. #8 It's ok to let go of a path to the find the better matched path. #9 Forgive yourself for being wrong or not ready for anything. #10 Get excited for what is the new next and believe in yourself so you can make it happen. Live many lifetimes in one lifetime.
What are things you have done for your career?
I quickly learned that I was meant to be a teacher in a different way. My joy is helping others heal past traumas and find personal clarity, develop emotional self-mastery, and improve their lives through highly structured visualizations, meditations, and personalized programs.
What are you up to these days?
While working my day job, in my spare time and weekends I am building my self-education business, All Bright Yourself! I have helped thousands of people globally in the last three decades. I also enjoy coaching kids sports, especially basketball and volleyball. It is an absolute joy! Until I started coaching, I didn't realize how much I was ready to share again and it feels REALLY good.
Advice for students/athletes at GHS today?
Lean into your passions and goals. Learn everything you can from GHS teachers. It's not about the grades, it's what you know when you go into the world. If you want to learn something new, go find it and find the best help.
If you are an athlete, give your journey 100% on all levels. I remember being shy or unsure of my skills and power. I wish I could go back in time for just 10 minutes and give myself a mindset adjustment.
Reinvent how you show up to create the best outcome for your teammates and your games. Give to your sport in every moment more than you think you can. Create and declare your goals to others and together build the strongest bonds for personal empowerment and achievement together. Michael Jordan would declare how many points he would achieve every game. (He would often tell it to the opposing team in their locker room and also increase that number aloud to opposing coaches during the game when challenged. Lol )
Surprise yourself with how much healthy confidence you can maintain gracefully and inspire others to do the same.












No comments:
Post a Comment