BLOG CATALOG

▼

Monday, September 28, 2026

Streaks Alumni Profile- Curt Morgan 1978
























Today’s “Streaks Alumni Profile” features Curt Morgan from Galesburg HS’s class of 1978. 

Curt has been highly successful in the business world. He has had a positive impact in every area that he has worked because of his strong leadership skills. 

His success is no surprise to any of us who knew Curt while he was at Galesburg High School. Curt was a focused student at GHS, and he showed tremendous social skills. He was leader through his humility and respect for others. 

I am so glad that Curt was willing to share his memories and his journey after  GHS. 


Favorite Teachers/Classes

Mr. Devore/Mr. Patterson - American Studies; Ms. Dunne - Math; Mr. Maurizi - Biology; Mr. Crown - Art; Mr. Fish - PE

Sports/Activities

Basketball/tennis

Best Memories of Galesburg/GHS

I grew up going to GHS sports events as far back as I can remember with my dad. Of course, John Thiel and the basketball Silver Streaks but also football as far back as when they played at Lombard. I am very proud of being from Galesburg. I didn’t realize it until after I left but Galesburg was a great place to go to school and grow up. We received a first class education and the demographics prepared us for the future. 





















Education After GHS

BBA in Accounting from Western Illinois University, Beta Alpha Psi officer, CPA; University of Chicago Graduate School of Business (MBA - Finance)

Career

14 years at BP/Amoco; 5 years at Reliant Energy (EVP Wholesale Group); 3 years Mirant Corporation (President/COO); 4 years at FirstLight Power Resources (President and CEO); 6 years at EquiPower Resources (President and CEO); 7 years at publicly traded Vistra Corp (President and CEO); and 3 years at Alpha Generation (Chairman and CEO). 

Also served on several Boards including currently with First Solar, Charah Solutions (Chairman) and Elevate Infrastructure

Today

I am currently Chairman and CEO of Alpha Generation a $10+ billion privately held power generation company (largest in the country). I also serve on 3 Boards mentioned above. I haven’t figured out how to retire. 

I also have 2 grandchildren and 1 on the way. One grandchild from each of my daughters. Been married to my wife for 41 years. They have been the best  things to ever happen to me. 

With my spare time, such as it is, I like to keep fit, spend time at our beach place, and enjoy University of Alabama athletics. 
























Advice to Today’s Students/Athletes

High school can provide many lasting fond memories. I certainly have my share of them. It is also a difficult time as we want to be adults and do adult things but do not have the requisite experience and knowledge to navigate a very diverse, political environment. 

For me, I struggled to find my way and for a short while let life’s challenges impede my progress. Frankly, I had a bit of a pity party. 

The lesson for me is that high school years are formative and fundamental but they are not dispositive to life’s journey. Some flourish and some struggle. For those that struggle do not let those struggles adversely impact your future. 

Galesburg and GHS provide an outstanding education and learning environment. You may not know it but you are as prepared as anyone to succeed in life. There are countless GHS graduates that have paved the way and had successful careers. 

To GHS graduates, build on the base and have the confidence to chase your dreams. My experience gained from a 43-year career is that people from the Midwest are well-suited to lead. Humility, self-awareness, work ethic, and strong ethics, to name a few, are critical to success in any discipline. People still value a positive attitude, decisiveness, mentorship, selflessness, and a team approach. 

My advise to GHS grads is to develop both hard and soft skills in equal doses. Hard skills are likely most important in the early years of a career and soft skills will grow in importance as you go from individual contributor to a leader. Most importantly, do not let being from Galesburg be an impediment, it is actually an advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment