Today’s Streaks Alumni Profile features Barb (Knapp) Lindquist from the Galesburg HS Class of 1976.
Barb arrived at GHS just as Title IX was passed, so she got an opportunity to play sports at Galesburg. Barb and her teammates faced the challenges that all athletes face but also the challenges of being “pioneers” in girls sports. That meant while they played sports, they had limited schedules, limited resources, and unequal opportunities.
Barb was part of a highly successful field hockey team and earned a scholarship to play field hockey at Western Illinois University. She is in the WIU Athletic Hall of Fame.
Favorite Teachers/Classes
Jared Lacy Drawing / Jimmy Crown Pottery
Sports / Activities at GHS
Basketball, Field Hockey, Softball, Manager for Volleyball
Best Memories
My best memories are playing in the above sports, the highlight being the Field Hokey Team traveling to the State Tournament our senior year.
How Do You Think Being a Pioneer in Girls Sports Helped Shape You?
I will always look back on playing sports in high school as a wonderful time. As far as pride being a pioneer, not sure I see myself that way. We were a bunch of girls that wanted to play ball. Just a few years before, girls didn't have the same opportunity that we did. We were grateful. For me Field Hockey provided a college education.
I think playing in sports taught me that hard work always pays. You look at where your skill lacks and dig in and figure out how to improve. And the fact that you have a team striving towards the same goals as you have makes it even more satisfying when you succeed.
Sport analogies don't always work in life, but they definitely give you a starting point to work with. I guess I look at where women's sports are today and am thankful that girls are being given the tools at a young age to follow their dreams whether it be playing on a summer team, high school and/or beyond.
Education after GHS
Western Illinois University. BA in Fine Arts Minor in Graphic Arts
Career
I have a mixed career(s). I started in Graphic Arts, moved into wholesale sales (Family Wholesale Floral business 11+ years) went back to graphic arts( Galesburg Post, Knoxville Journal, Life & Leisure magazine and 3-D Times magazine 4 plus years), while working also as a bookkeeper (Hawthorne Centre Craft Mall), worked as a secretary/bookkeeper (Real Estate office 11 + years) while doing freelance graphic arts and web design, then moved on to working retail in a team leader role at Target. Retiring from Target.
Today
Retired enjoying time with my husband, with Ivy, and with family. And dong gardening, photography and painting.
Advice to Students/Athletes Today
Advice for present students would be explore your interests in high school, get involved in clubs and organizations. It's a great time to discover life long friends and what interests you the most.
(I was too timid in high school and did not take advantage of all that was offered.)
No comments:
Post a Comment